+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce with Canadian Citizen and subsequent marriage to non-Canadian

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Dear all,

My sister was married in 2014 to a Canadian Citizen. The PR was issued somewhere around 2015 but unfortunately they divorced in 2017. Sister had moved to Canada right before the divorce and has been living there since then. She has taken 2 trips to the home country: One in October 2017 to April 2018 and other from Jan 2021 till present (she is currently in home country). She has taken the citizenship test which was done online and passed it so I assume it is at the finalization stage of her passport.

Right now, she wants to remarry to a guy based in Muscat, Oman. However, in order for her to travel there and live with him, she will have to remarry legally and change her name on the ID card issued by Pakistan and maybe even her passport. My question is, will this impact her current citizenship application? Are there any provisions for such a scenario or will she have to redo the entire process?

Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Dear all,

My sister was married in 2014 to a Canadian Citizen. The PR was issued somewhere around 2015 but unfortunately they divorced in 2017. Sister had moved to Canada right before the divorce and has been living there since then. She has taken 2 trips to the home country: One in October 2017 to April 2018 and other from Jan 2021 till present (she is currently in home country). She has taken the citizenship test which was done online and passed it so I assume it is at the finalization stage of her passport.

Right now, she wants to remarry to a guy based in Muscat, Oman. However, in order for her to travel there and live with him, she will have to remarry legally and change her name on the ID card issued by Pakistan and maybe even her passport. My question is, will this impact her current citizenship application? Are there any provisions for such a scenario or will she have to redo the entire process?

Thank you
How long did she live with her spouse in Canada? Did they live together elsewhere? Was this an arranged marriage? She was approved for PR in 2015 and assume she landed in 2015 but did not stay with her husband?

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
How long did she live with her spouse in Canada? Did they live together elsewhere? Was this an arranged marriage? She was approved for PR in 2015 and assume she landed in 2015 but did not stay with her husband?
She got arrange marriaged in 2014. He left for Canada immediately after marriage. In 2015, she landed in Canada and stayed at his place for 2 weeks or so (the minimum stay). She came back here and stayed in home country until the time of divorce. She traveled immediately around that time to talk things out with him.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She got arrange marriaged in 2014. He left for Canada immediately after marriage. In 2015, she landed in Canada and stayed at his place for 2 weeks or so (the minimum stay). She came back here and stayed in home country until the time of divorce. She traveled immediately around that time to talk things out with him.
Her first sponsorship is pretty questionable since they only seems to have spent 2 weeks together in Canada and maybe 2-3 weeks together throughout their whole marriage. I would expect a lot of scrutiny of the file given that the first marriage seems to have been over before she landed.

Xavierl92

Dec 17, 2017
Her first sponsorship is pretty questionable since they only seems to have spent 2 weeks together in Canada and maybe 2-3 weeks together throughout their whole marriage. I would expect a lot of scrutiny of the file given that the first marriage seems to have been over before she landed.
What do you think are the possible outcomes of this? Is it a possibility for her PR to be revoked because of this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
What do you think are the possible outcomes of this? Is it a possibility for her PR to be revoked because of this?
Impossible to say what will happen. Fairly unusual to get PR revoked but having only spent 2 weeks together in their whole marriage is a huge red flag. She may face a lot scrutiny during the review of her citizenship application and if she sponsors another spouse. Huge range of what could happen from nothing, to much longer processing time, to losing PR if she is unable to prove that she was in a true relationship. Did her spouse visit her during the sponsorship process?

Reactions: Xavierl92