+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce not final, want to sponsor my filipino bf

gator55

Mar 19, 2015
I am in the last final process of getting a divorce. Its a waiting game as the courts in Calgary are backed up and can take up to 3-4 months. My bf who has been with me for 2 years now has just recieved notice his work permit expired a couple days ago as he had an LMIA for 2 years. He is now going through a " restoration " procedure.

I want to sponsor him and allow him to stay in Canada. I can provide financial assistance and in the meantime, he is seeking an LMIA to continue working. Does anyone know if I can do this? Can somebody please help and show me the way to complete whatever application forms are needed. Thank you so much

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
gator55 said:
I am in the last final process of getting a divorce. Its a waiting game as the courts in Calgary are backed up and can take up to 3-4 months. My bf who has been with me for 2 years now has just recieved notice his work permit expired a couple days ago as he had an LMIA for 2 years. He is now going through a " restoration " procedure.

I want to sponsor him and allow him to stay in Canada. I can provide financial assistance and in the meantime, he is seeking an LMIA to continue working. Does anyone know if I can do this? Can somebody please help and show me the way to complete whatever application forms are needed. Thank you so much
What is your status in Canada? Canadian permanent resident or citizen?

Have you lived together with your boyfriend for at least one full year and can you prove it? If so, you can go ahead and sponsor him as your common law partner. If not, then you either need to live together for a year first or get married (once you've divorced) and then sponsor him.

gator55

Mar 19, 2015
I am a Canadian Citizen. I have only proof that his bills and mail comes here really. Nothing like a joint bank account or that he is on my lease. Only that he moved here June 2013 and and his bills and all mail including tax return arrive here.I have only just finished the paperwork with the divorce 3 weeks ago and was told by my lawyer that because of the back log... it could take up to 4 months for the divorce to be finalized and signed by a Judge.