+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce in Canada but not in the Phils

Jeyel

Mar 19, 2020
My bf that is a candian citizen was divorced in 2013 here in Canada but not yet in the Philippines. The ex wife didnt want to file an annulment due to financial issues,cannot afford to file the annulment. We heard that there is a divorce bill in the Phils already,do we just send a letter to the Phil embassy for the marriage in the Phil to be null and void? How do we enforce it, what are the steps? Thank you

ScoutRanger

Mar 10, 2020
Is the Canadian bf a Filipino-Canadian (means a holder of both Filipino and Canadian passports) or just Canadian. If it is Filipino-Canadian (dual) he cannot divorced in the Philippines unless he will file a petition amend the entry of the marriage certificate of petition the court for the nullity of marriage. The divorce bill is just a bill it may or may not make it into a law. Senators are against it.

Jeyel

Mar 19, 2020
My Bf is a Canadian citizen, not dual.. so do they (ex and him) still have to file an annulment? Even if he is divorce here?

Jeyel

Mar 19, 2020
We're not sure yet.. but either or, I dont want her using my bf's last name.. she doesnt deserve it..

ScoutRanger

Mar 10, 2020
Paragraph 2, Article 26 of the Family Code of the Philippines provides:
“Article 26. xxx
Where a marriage between a Filipino citizen and a foreigner is validly celebrated and a divorce decree is thereafter validly obtained abroad by the alien spouse capacitating him or her to remarry, the Filipino spouse shall likewise have the capacity to remarry under Philippine law.”