+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce and marriage after pr

cns87

Sep 23, 2018
Hello,

I have a question about divorcing after getting PR.

I have a relationship with a man who was getting divorced. However they have been applied for Express Entry together with his wife before they have decided to divorce. They have been accepted for EE with his wife therefore, they have delayed divorcing. They have landed now.

1)When could he divorce? How long does it take?

2)Can he be a sponsor for me right after divorce?

Thanks.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello,

I have a relationship with a man who was getting divorced. However they have been applied for Express Entry together with his wife before they have decided to divorce. They have been accepted for EE with his wife therefore, they have delayed divorcing. They have landed now.

Thanks.
They can get a divorce in Canada once they have been living in Canada for a year.

In order for him to sponsor you the two of you would need to get married after he has divorced - or live together for a year continuously to become common law.

If you get married too soon after his divorce this could potentially create issues for the application and make IRCC concerned about the relationship.

SoniaJav

Star Member
Sep 19, 2014
But why do they have to live together for a year before they divorce? Why cant they divorce straight away? There is no such law tgat says they have to live together for a year to get divorced in Canada??

For the man to sponsor you...you must be living together...or have lived together for 12months...you'll need to show evidence of that...common bills...mortgage...pictures etc.
Or you can marry him and he can sponsor you that way.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
But why do they have to live together for a year before they divorce? Why cant they divorce straight away? There is no such law tgat says they have to live together for a year to get divorced in Canada??
Yes - there is such a law. Before someone can start divorce proceedings in Canada, they must have been a resident in Canada for at least 1 year. They cannot divorce immediately after arriving.

Reactions: EstherBarros

Prats6

Aug 31, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
4th April 2017
Med's Done....
Upfront
Hello,

Thanks.
It would be tough for you and CIC would smell something fishy. Unfortunately the better way is for him to divorce now, and marry you and a fresh application.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately things get complicated when you misrepresent your relationship to CIC. Also expect scrutiny if you suddenly get divorced and then remarry and apply for a spousal sponsorship a year after moving to Canada.