+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after sponsorship ( please help)

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Guys i need a serious advice:

I am a canadian PR and i married my wife in india last year and then we came to Canada ( she had the student visa ). I sponsored her and she landed last month and became PR.
Now we are having so much differences and looks like we only have the divorce as an option.
She stopped working and is not contributing at all in household expenses if i ask her to find a job she claims since i am now responsible for her expenses she won't work.
She is threatening me that she would harm and destroy me in every way possible.
March 2018 she accidentally got pregnant and i asked her to go for abortion. She is stating now that i tortured her and pressurized her to abort.
I would like to know what all wrong can she do to me if i file divorce?
Please help

Kedeisha

Champion Member
Apr 15, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You will be responsible for her, financially, for 3 years after the date she landed and became a PR.

She cannot do you any wrong except go on social assistance and you will be responsible for repaying any monies she has been given during the 3 year time period. Getting a divorce does NOT negate your sponsorship agreement.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks for the response. I am more concerned with what other legal rights she has that she can use against me other then going on welfare or social assistance? Can she file a false complaint against me ?
I have never been physically abusive or hasn't done anything like that either.

You will be responsible for her, financially, for 3 years after the date she landed and became a PR.

She cannot do you any wrong except go on social assistance and you will be responsible for repaying any monies she has been given during the 3 year time period. Getting a divorce does NOT negate your sponsorship agreement.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Thanks for the response. I am more concerned with what other legal rights she has that she can use against me other then going on welfare or social assistance? Can she file a false complaint against me ?
I have never been physically abusive or hasn't done anything like that either.
This question is beyond the scope of this forum. But short answer - she can always file a complaint against you. If you are concerned about false accusations, make sure you start collecting proofs on why she may falsify claims against you to use in your defense.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Practically, she could file a “false” claim, but that’s something you wouldn’t be able to avoid in any circumstance. People filing false claims aren’t governed by ethics. From what you have posted, their is little there to indicate any grounds that would support a claim.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Thanks guys. Just to add
There was never a single instance of physical abuse between us ever. She does give me suicidal threats every now and then if i go for the divorce which makes all of this very complex.

np08

Jan 13, 2015
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga, OT
App. Filed.......
Feb 09, 2018
AOR Received.
Mar 07, 2018
Med's Request
Aug 8, 2018
Med's Done....
Aug 13, 2018
LANDED..........
Dec 18, 2018
Thanks guys. Just to add
There was never a single instance of physical abuse between us ever. She does give me suicidal threats every now and then if i go for the divorce which makes all of this very complex.
This goes way beyond the scope of this forum.

As far as the immigration side of it, you're financially responsible for your wife for three years after her landing. As for all this other stuff, you should probably seek legal counsel.

bornhunter

Star Member
Jun 9, 2012
Yes i am aware of that but can anyone suggest anything from personal experiences. I am sure these statements would be quite common in divorce cases. One of my friend suggested me to inform police before leaving the house.

This goes way beyond the scope of this forum.

As far as the immigration side of it, you're financially responsible for your wife for three years after her landing. As for all this other stuff, you should probably seek legal counsel.

DollyM

Jul 6, 2016
Middle of Nowhere, Perth, Western Australia
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-2016
Doc's Request.
29-07-2016
AOR Received.
02-09-2016
File Transfer...
31 August 2016
Med's Done....
25-07-2016
How exactly did your wife "accidentally" become pregnant? Was it an immaculate conception or did the two of you accidentally have sex? If it's the first then I can see how you would be upset about a baby. If it's the second, then it's NOT your wife "accidentally" getting pregnant, it's BOTH of you contributing to the creation of a child.

As for the rest, may I suggest some marriage counselling?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You can contact the police a make a claim that you wife s threatening to make false statements about you. Not sure how much it will help but it is good to have your concern on record.

Perhaps there is someone in your community that deals with marriage issues. Perhaps a social worker.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
How exactly did your wife "accidentally" become pregnant? Was it an immaculate conception or did the two of you accidentally have sex? If it's the first then I can see how you would be upset about a baby. If it's the second, then it's NOT your wife "accidentally" getting pregnant, it's BOTH of you contributing to the creation of a child.

As for the rest, may I suggest some marriage counselling?
Think what he means that it was an unplanned pregnancy. Given the unstable relationship and perhaps their financial status he had wanted an abortion. It does not seem like it happened. These are realistic things that come up in a marriage.

Last edited:

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Don’t leave the house until you have an agreement in place. That can be interpreted as relinquishing your dower rights