+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after PR

Virah

Nov 12, 2019
Hi,
Im the main applicant and my husband is depended. We landed together and applied for PR cards and went back to our home country. After securing our PR cards i landed alone in canada and being living alone from past 3 months. I have no clue if my husband will come or not. Things were hard after we got our PR cards and now Im thinking of divorce. We been married for 4 yrs and got my PR last year. Can I apply for divorce here in Canada? Can I re marry before applying for citizenship ? Should I wait for an year ? Will that effect his entry?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi,
Im the main applicant and my husband is depended. We landed together and applied for PR cards and went back to our home country. After securing our PR cards i landed alone in canada and being living alone from past 3 months. I have no clue if my husband will come or not. Things were hard after we got our PR cards and now Im thinking of divorce. We been married for 4 yrs and got my PR last year. Can I apply for divorce here in Canada? Can I re marry before applying for citizenship ? Should I wait for an year ? Will that effect his entry?
At this point in time, divorce will not impact either of your immigration status. You will both remain as PRs.

Virah

Nov 12, 2019
In most cases, you need to be resident in Canada for one year before applying for divorce.
So I can apply after an year, is it? Or should he also be here in canada for that? What if he never come to canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
So I can apply after an year, is it? Or should he also be here in canada for that? What if he never come to canada?
Only the person filing needs to be in Canada and meet the one year requirements.

canadian3489

Nov 28, 2023
Hello, i have a question regarding the same scenario. I have been separated and havent filed for divorce yet as its not 1 year since separation, can i apply for citizenship with separated status or wait for divorce certificate? @zardoz