+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after ITA or COPR

Apr 2, 2020
Can a married couple applied for express entry together one being principal applicant, after getting ITR or COPR or Visa get divorced?

If Yes,
Can they travel separately with a stamped canada visa on passport?
If one amongst them doesn't wish leave home country & another moves to canada after getting visa, will that work?

does that affect the immigration profile or arrival/entry at Canada?

If No,
Can that couple get divorced in Canada before citizenship as PR candidates?
Has country such law provision?

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You can get divorced before you land, you just have to inform IRCC, and then someone may no longer be eligible (the dependent).

If you come to Canada with intentions of being divorced, it may technically be considered misrepresentation (but how will they know?)

If you come to Canada as married, you must meet the residency requirements of the province prior to seeking divorce. This can range from 6 months-1 year or longer.

If one person comes and the other stays, the one resident in Canada can begin a divorce proceeding once they meet the residency requirements.

Basic rule:

If you get divorced prior to landing as a PR, you MUST inform IRCC.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Hi all,

My application got approved in system.I have got COPR and stamping of visa for myself , spouse and children. But due to some dispute , we are separated and filing for mutual divorce.

Now, I want to ask if I can travel to canada while my divorce is on the way. I have already informed CIC through web form. But as we all know that getting reply from IRCC is a daunting task. I will also inform to the immigration after landing as well regarding my divorce.please guide me further

MehdiPL

Mar 4, 2020
You can get divorced before you land, you just have to inform IRCC, and then someone may no longer be eligible (the dependent).

If you come to Canada with intentions of being divorced, it may technically be considered misrepresentation (but how will they know?)

If you come to Canada as married, you must meet the residency requirements of the province prior to seeking divorce. This can range from 6 months-1 year or longer.

If one person comes and the other stays, the one resident in Canada can begin a divorce proceeding once they meet the residency requirements.

Basic rule:

If you get divorced prior to landing as a PR, you MUST inform IRCC.
By informing IRCC, wouldn’t that recalculate the EE points ? I want to specify that the application is complete and copr is already given

Nature123

Oct 16, 2022
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. Thank you.