+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after Copr but before landing

ash21

Oct 18, 2020
What am I supposed to do at this point she won't sign any document or not even ready to give medicals or anything. Please suggest if there is any alternative way.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
What am I supposed to do at this point she won't sign any document or not even ready to give medicals or anything. Please suggest if there is any alternative way.
It looks like there is no other way for you as she is still married to you. You can write to IRCC or consult an attorney and see if there is a way.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
Hey guys

I applied for Canadian Experience Class in March 2020. Then I moved back to my country in September 2020, and received my COPR in November 2020. Since then, I have been waiting for my COPR to be reissued. Finally, I got the confirmation of PR status yesterday. In the PDF document I got, it says I should inform IRCC if my status has changed. I am in a common law relationship since November 2020, and as my status has changed I would like to add my partner into my application. The starting date of common law relationship is after my first application in 2020.

So, I got in a common law relationship after I received my initial approval. However, my application was on hold last 2 years.
So, in this case, I am not sure if it is a sponsoring or not.
If it is a sponsoring, the official website says I cannot sponsor her since I am currently living outside Canada.

Could you please share your opinions?
Thank you

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Hey guys

I applied for Canadian Experience Class in March 2020. Then I moved back to my country in September 2020, and received my COPR in November 2020. Since then, I have been waiting for my COPR to be reissued. Finally, I got the confirmation of PR status yesterday. In the PDF document I got, it says I should inform IRCC if my status has changed. I am in a common law relationship since November 2020, and as my status has changed I would like to add my partner into my application. The starting date of common law relationship is after my first application in 2020.

So, I got in a common law relationship after I received my initial approval. However, my application was on hold last 2 years.
So, in this case, I am not sure if it is a sponsoring or not.
If it is a sponsoring, the official website says I cannot sponsor her since I am currently living outside Canada.

Could you please share your opinions?
Thank you
You can add your common law partner no matter where you are as long as you have not landed in Canada. Don't how the date of common law application would affect your application.

Erseenvi

Feb 11, 2020
You can add your common law partner no matter where you are as long as you have not landed in Canada. Don't how the date of common law application would affect your application.
Thank you. Also, do you think that it would make any difference to get married instead of declaring ourself as common law partners? Do marriages have a stronger impact on the application than common law relationships?

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Thank you. Also, do you think that it would make any difference to get married instead of declaring ourself as common law partners? Do marriages have a stronger impact on the application than common law relationships?
Proving marriage is easier than common law relationship because you will have a date for marriage (which will be the starting date of your official union), formal ceremony, photos of the event, and marriage registration. Once you add your common law partner or spouse, you will be given a lengthy questionnaire to prove the relationship with your spouse. Please google and find that document, you will know what I am talking about.

Nature123

Oct 16, 2022
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. He did not add any points to the application. Thank you.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Hi, I am the main applicant and my husband is the dependent. We received the PPR, and I have already landed in Canada as PR. We are now going to get separated and planning to file a divorce in few months time. He did not submit the documents to get the COPR as well. How can I remove him from the application now. He did not add any points to the application. Thank you.
You can only let IRCC know once you have divorced. Until then, he is considered as your spouse.