+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Divorce after Copr but before landing

aarunb88

Nov 22, 2017
Hi All,

I have received my copr. I am planning to land in mid-2019.
My wife is non-accompanying in the application and hence has contributed 0 points.

I'm expecting to get the divorce decree before my landing. I plan to inform cic once the divorce is finalised.
Now if we get divorced before i land and I inform CIC, will my application be reopened?
Or will they just issue a new CoPR and visa?

Will this cause in any delay? What would be the best option available to me?

@legalfalcon

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
Hi All,

I have received my copr. I am planning to land in mid-2019.
My wife is non-accompanying in the application and hence has contributed 0 points.

I'm expecting to get the divorce decree before my landing. I plan to inform cic once the divorce is finalised.
Now if we get divorced before i land and I inform CIC, will my application be reopened?
Or will they just issue a new CoPR and visa?

Will this cause in any delay? What would be the best option available to me?

@legalfalcon
Your existing copr will be cancelled and u need to send back your passport. It can take additional time for new ppr

aarunb88

Nov 22, 2017
Your existing copr will be cancelled and u need to send back your passport. It can take additional time for new ppr
New PPR also? I mean will they evaluate the whole process again? Or Will they issue a new copr only (since she was already non-accompanying)
Any idea approx how long the delay will be?

jaffaral

Champion Member
Jun 29, 2014
Category........
Other
New PPR also? I mean will they evaluate the whole process again? Or Will they issue a new copr only (since she was already non-accompanying)
Any idea approx how long the delay will be?
No they will just may or may not verify your divorce documents and remove your spouse from your record which they hold and issue u a new ppr. Don’t know approx how much time

aarunb88

Nov 22, 2017
No they will just may or may not verify your divorce documents and remove your spouse from your record which they hold and issue u a new ppr. Don’t know approx how much time
Thank you! I was wondering if i should initiate the process before I land or after it.
If it will cause considerable amount of delay, i'll do it post landing

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Thank you! I was wondering if i should initiate the process before I land or after it.
If it will cause considerable amount of delay, i'll do it post landing
Before. You absolutely must not attempt to land with your COPR showing incorrect marital status information. IRCC need to be informed and they will tell you what to do next.

aarunb88

Nov 22, 2017
Before. You absolutely must not attempt to land with your COPR showing incorrect marital status information. IRCC need to be informed and they will tell you what to do next.
sorry for the confusion. I was referring to initiating the divorce process.

My question was if divorce is going to cause a considerable amount of delay, then i'll probably do a soft landing and then initiate the divorce process?

Do you have any idea how much time the issuance of new copr will take if i inform them now? (My spouse is already marked as unaccompanying - and no points added)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
sorry for the confusion. I was referring to initiating the divorce process.

My question was if divorce is going to cause a considerable amount of delay, then i'll probably do a soft landing and then initiate the divorce process?

Do you have any idea how much time the issuance of new copr will take if i inform them now? (My spouse is already marked as unaccompanying - and no points added)
Ah.. I understand. My advice would be to land and then initiate divorce. That keeps you strictly in compliance with the legislation and as your spouse is non-accompanying, would not impact her immigration status anyway.

Amansethi86

Star Member
Jan 31, 2021
Hi all,

My application got approved in system.I have got COPR and stamping of visa for myself , spouse and children. But due to some dispute , we are separated and filing for mutual divorce.

Now, I want to ask if I can travel to canada while my divorce is on the way. I have already informed CIC through web form. But as we all know that getting reply from IRCC is a daunting task. I will also inform to the immigration after landing as well regarding my divorce.please guide me further

ash21

Oct 18, 2020
Hello @Amansethi86

I'm in kind of same boat as you are. I got married after the COPR and I have couple of more months left before I can do my landing and now we are having a breakdown in our relationship and we wanted to apply for divorce but nothing can be done until 6 more months because of the law in India.
My wife was never part of my application and I don't want her to be going forward as well.
Can you let me know what response did you receive from IRCC.

Thanks in advance,.

ash21

Oct 18, 2020
Hello @legalfalcon

I got married after the COPR and my COPR expires in October 2022.
I tried to do landing via road from USA in May and informed the officer about the change in marital status and he gave me form to "allowed to leave canada".
Post May we are having a breakdown in our relationship and we wanted to apply for divorce but nothing can be done until 6 more months because of the law in India or in USA for another 3 months because of the state we are living in,
My wife was never part of my application and I don't want her to be going forward as well.
I tried to raise a webform with IRCC about the same and haven't received any response.
Have you seen any scenario like this and please advise me what would be the best way to deal with this.

Thanks in advance,.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Hello @legalfalcon

I tried to do landing via road from USA in May and informed the officer about the change in marital status and he gave me form to "allowed to leave canada".
Post May we are having a breakdown in our relationship and we wanted to apply for divorce but nothing can be done until 6 more months because of the law in India or in USA for another 3 months because of the state we are living in,
I tried to raise a webform with IRCC about the same and haven't received any response.
Have you seen any scenario like this and please advise me what would be the best way to deal with this.

Thanks in advance,.
If you reported change of marital status, how come you wife is not part of the process? No matter what she should have been added as you spouse post marriage. I believe you may encounter issues entering Canada with your COPR because you may be misinterpreting your marital status.

Incase you have already added your wife and now you want to remove her from the application due to indifference between you both, then IRCC doesn't care about it unless you have divorce papers.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello @legalfalcon

Thanks in advance,.
You have to add her name to your application as a spouse and then you can indicate that you are separated and so don’t qualify to sponsor her nor do you want to sponsor her. You may want to play it safe and put her as a non-accompanying spouse just to be safe and avoid any delays. If you don’t include her at all you could be told yu have to include her as a spouse but you can leave her as non-accompanying because you aren’t divorced yet.

ash21

Oct 18, 2020
You have to add her name to your application as a spouse and then you can indicate that you are separated and so don’t qualify to sponsor her nor do you want to sponsor her. You may want to play it safe and put her as a non-accompanying spouse just to be safe and avoid any delays. If you don’t include her at all you could be told yu have to include her as a spouse but you can leave her as non-accompanying because you aren’t divorced yet.
Does she need to provide any paper work after adding her to the application like doing medicals or providing with police clearance ?
she is not willing to do those things if those are mandatory.

RSub

Champion Member
Aug 23, 2021
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
AOR Received.
12-11-2020
Does she need to provide any paper work after adding her to the application like doing medicals or providing with police clearance ?
she is not willing to do those things if those are mandatory.
Ofocurse. She ain't exempt from submitting the documents. If she is not willing, then it will fall on your head and it may affect your PR.