Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
06/08/2010, Edmonton
Hi, I am a Canadian citizen of indian origin. I received my OCI after I became a Canadian citizen. My wife is Chinese, and she is currently on a Permanent Resident Status in Canada. I did apply OCI for her and she got the OCI based on my status.

Now she is applying for Canadian Citizenship. There is one question (6F) in the application which asks the following:

" Do you have permanent resident status or the equivalent in any country other than Canada? If Yes, list the country(ies) and provide the dates you acquired this status"

So, do we need to list her OCI here? We are bit confused whether the OCI can be treated as permanent resident status or a merely lifelong visa. Anyone in this kind of situation or can advise on this.. please respond.. Thanks

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi, I am a Canadian citizen of indian origin. I received my OCI after I became a Canadian citizen. My wife is Chinese, and she is currently on a Permanent Resident Status in Canada. I did apply OCI for her and she got the OCI based on my status.

Now she is applying for Canadian Citizenship. There is one question (6F) in the application which asks the following:

" Do you have permanent resident status or the equivalent in any country other than Canada? If Yes, list the country(ies) and provide the dates you acquired this status"

So, do we need to list her OCI here? We are bit confused whether the OCI can be treated as permanent resident status or a merely lifelong visa. Anyone in this kind of situation or can advise on this.. please respond.. Thanks
1. It depends, if the OCI allows you wife to live/work permanently in India, then it is permanent residence status.

HamiltonApplicant

Apr 3, 2017
Hamilton
Visa Office......
Munich, Germany
App. Filed.......
Jan 2007
Med's Request
Dec 2009
Med's Done....
Jan 2010
Passport Req..
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
May 2010
LANDED..........
25-11-2010

Very interesting question! Indian OCI, in my opinion, is not PR or equivalent because OCI comes with no residency obligations. It is like a unlimited visa.

That said, why take risk? Just mention that fact in the application....