+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diplomatic status

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
Hey Guys,

I need your help!

Who becomes a diplomatic status in Canada? Only people with a diplomatic passport from a foreign Government?

What does it mean?

Diplomatic status means that a person was appointed by a foreign government to conduct official duties in Canada for that country. This could be as a diplomatic officer, a consular officer, or another representative for that country in Canada (such as an employee of a diplomatic officer). Diplomatic status also includes officers or employees of an international organization in Canada (such as the United Nations).

Thank you in advance!

dbss

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
A person who becomes a diplomat would know he is a diplomat. Depends on your country how you are selected as a diplomat.

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
tormenta said:
You answered the question yourself!
People with a diplomat passport have a diplomat status in Canada?

People without a diplomat passport have no diplomat status in Canada?

Is that right?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I would think if someone is serving here in Canada as a diplomat (and therefore on their country's diplomatic passport with a Canadian Diplomatic visa affixed in that passport) and therefore working at their country's Embassy/ Consulate/High Commission anywhere in Canada, then they are based here as a diplomat and have diplomatic status.

Sometimes embassies have consular or other staff who may not be career diplomats or in the Foreign Service and - I am guessing - are here on an official and not diplomatic passport, and have some immunities and protections. Unsure if its full diplomatic status for such people.

For diplomats, they are governed by the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations

http://www.international.gc.ca/protocol-protocole/vienna-vienne/

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
Thank you for your answers.

Whats about foreign soldiers who did not work for an embassy or a consulate and never had a diplomat passport.

Mandatory requirement is a diplomatic passport to have a diplomat status in Canada?

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
This is getting a bit dicey now.

Best to contact The Dept of Foreign Affairs directly for the absolute correct answer in such matters instead of relying on this forum.

Good Luck !

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
us2yow said:
This is getting a bit dicey now.

Best to contact The Dept of Foreign Affairs directly for the absolute correct answer in such matters instead of relying on this forum.

Good Luck !
you´re right ;) it´s very dicey

my german father (with mother) was stationed with the German "Bundeswehr" in Shilo/Manitoba for about 36 months...I was born in Canada in 1979....now me and my wife want to move to Canada and an immigration consulter said to me, that I can work and live in Canada whenever I want to do that because I´m a Canadian by birth.

But the Government of Canada said, that my father had a diplomatic status. But that´s not right. My father never had a diplomat passport or -status. My parents never ever had any diplomatic privileges. He was a cook in Shilo and entered Canada with his German passport. My parents had to apply for an entry visa at the Canadian consulate in Dusseldorf (Germany) for their time in Canada.....now I try to find out.....

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
based on your other thread, were you able to get your birth certificate issued in canada?

i think you should just proceed with the fact that your dad applied for a visa and entered the country using it. may be keep the "army stuff" out of it and see if that help. is it possible to get a copy of the visa and show it to the CIC? remember, even with visa, a person can't stay more than 6 months. so may be your parents had other privileges (not for certain).

usually soldiers and employees at a foreign base/embassy has certain diplomatic privileges.

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
chakrab said:
based on your other thread, were you able to get your birth certificate issued in canada?

i think you should just proceed with the fact that your dad applied for a visa and entered the country using it. may be keep the "army stuff" out of it and see if that help. is it possible to get a copy of the visa and show it to the CIC? remember, even with visa, a person can't stay more than 6 months. so may be your parents had other privileges (not for certain).

usually soldiers and employees at a foreign base/embassy has certain diplomatic privileges.
Yes I have an original Certificate of birth from the Province of Manitoba.

I had talked to the German Army Administration in the U.S. who are responsible for the German soldiers in the USA and Canada. They told me, that German soldiers who are working for an embassy/consulate in the US or Canada has a diplomatic status and privileges. Soldiers who are working just for the German "Bundeswehr" have no diplomat status. Soldiers like the guys in Shilo.

My parents had to apply for an extension of their Visa to stay/work/life more than 6 months in Canada...

My parents really never had any privileges compared with permanent residents or citizens. They had to pay Tax, they had to apply for a Canadian driver license and so on....

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. can you still get hold of those visas to prove your parents weren't diplomats?

2. not sure if you have already done it but what happens if you apply for passport with birth certificate and not even mention your parents?

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
chakrab said:
1. can you still get hold of those visas to prove your parents weren't diplomats?

2. not sure if you have already done it but what happens if you apply for passport with birth certificate and not even mention your parents?
1. no :(..but I had contact the German passport department. They want to confirm me, that my father never had a diplomat passport or never was a diplomat. And I had contact the Federal German Government to find an agreement from 1974 between Ottawa and Bonn about the tank trainings in Shilo. The agreement regulated the status of the German soldiers in Canada.

2. I´m a little bit afraid to apply without mention my parents. That could be a fraud?! And the Canadian Embassy in Berlin claims, that my father had a diplomat status for his time in Shilo. But they cannot prove it.

Its very very difficult to find out anything...the German and the Canadian authorities are very unhelpful :(

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wheaty879 said:
1. no..but I had contact the German passport department. They want to confirm me, that my father never had a diplomat passport or never was a diplomat. And I had contact the Federal German Government to find an agreement from 1974 between Ottawa and Bonn about the tank trainings in Shilo. The agreement regulated the status of the German soldiers in Canada.

2. I´m a little bit afraid to apply without mention my parents. That could be a fraud?! And the Canadian Embassy in Berlin claims, that my father had a diplomat status for his time in Shilo. But they cannot prove it.

Its very very difficult to find out anything...the German and the Canadian authorities are very unhelpful :(
you are not committing any fraud. on the application, just write the birth certificate number and date. as long as you have the certificate to prove that the data is real, you shouldn't worry. parents' status don't usually come up during the passport application.

i say, go and try for passport application. give the data as honestly as you can. then see what reply you get from the officer. if you are rejected, then you know for sure that this process won't work. better than living in dilemma i suppose. all the best.

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
chakrab said:
you are not committing any fraud. on the application, just write the birth certificate number and date. as long as you have the certificate to prove that the data is real, you shouldn't worry. parents' status don't usually come up during the passport application.

i say, go and try for passport application. give the data as honestly as you can. then see what reply you get from the officer. if you are rejected, then you know for sure that this process won't work. better than living in dilemma i suppose. all the best.
Thank you very much for your great help. I´m now waiting for the official confirmation of the German authorities and then I will try to apply for a Canadian passport. Or is it better to apply for proof of Citizenship at CIC?

Have a nice day!!!

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Wheaty879 said:
Thank you very much for your great help. I´m now waiting for the official confirmation of the German authorities and then I will try to apply for a Canadian passport. Or is it better to apply for proof of Citizenship at CIC?

Have a nice day!!!
i would suggest proof of citizenship, cause that's the real deal you know. anything else is just speculation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp