+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diplomatic status

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
chakrab said:
i would suggest proof of citizenship, cause that's the real deal you know. anything else is just speculation.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp
many many thanks to you....I would be so happy if I could be a Canadian!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chakrab said:
you are not committing any fraud. on the application, just write the birth certificate number and date. as long as you have the certificate to prove that the data is real, you shouldn't worry. parents' status don't usually come up during the passport application.

i say, go and try for passport application. give the data as honestly as you can. then see what reply you get from the officer. if you are rejected, then you know for sure that this process won't work. better than living in dilemma i suppose. all the best.
Under the law, a diplomat's child is not entitled to Canadian citizenship, regardless of whether they have a Canadian birth certificate. If such a person were to apply for and obtain a Canadian passport without mentioning that they were born to a diplomat and therefore not entitled to Canadian citizenship, it would be fraud.

See this page http://www.international.gc.ca/protocol-protocole/births_naissances.aspx?lang=eng

While children born in Canada of foreign representatives would normally obtain a provincial birth certificate, such birth certificate does not confer any rights of citizenship and does no more than provide evidence of the circumstances of birth in Canada.

Wheaty879 said:
Thank you very much for your great help. I´m now waiting for the official confirmation of the German authorities and then I will try to apply for a Canadian passport. Or is it better to apply for proof of Citizenship at CIC?
Do not apply for a Canadian passport until you have 100% confirmation that your parents did not have diplomatic status when you were born.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
he is applying for the proof of citizenship first. his parent's can't be confirmed as a diplomat. so the only way to find out will be to apply for proof.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
chakrab said:
he is applying for the proof of citizenship first. his parent's can't be confirmed as a diplomat. so the only way to find out will be to apply for proof.
He can't apply for proof of citizenship without knowing what the status of his parents was while in Canada. The application specifically asks if the parents were "employed in Canada by a foreign government or international agency" to determine whether they had any form of diplomatic status. If he answers "No" when he doesn't even know if it's true, it's misrepresentation.

He needs to confirm whether they had diplomatic status before doing anything.

us2yow

Dec 15, 2010
I am not 100% sure, but, in fact, if they were NOT on diplomatic status but just on a routine visa, you may very likely qualify to apply for citizenship.

I know of a friend whose parents were here in the early 70s as PhD students. My friend was born here during that time and she has Canadian citizenship from being born here. She and her parents left at some point in the seventies and moved overseas for a job, but my friend still has Canadian citizenship (and also that of her parents' country since in her case that country allows for dual citizenship). Incidentally, she has never really lived or studied here after she left back then - she studied in the US and UK and works overseas.

chakrab

Champion Member
Mar 8, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canuck_in_uk said:
He can't apply for proof of citizenship without knowing what the status of his parents was while in Canada. The application specifically asks if the parents were "employed in Canada by a foreign government or international agency". If he answers "No" when he doesn't even know if it's true, it's misrepresentation.

He needs to confirm whether they had diplomatic status before doing anything.
wonder how one proves whether a person has diplomatic status? neither govt can't seem to confirm. it's a terrible situation to be in.

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
I´m waiting for the official confirmation of the German ID-Card & Passport Department, that my father never had a diplomat passport.

Another possibility is to find the Agreement from January 1974 between the German Government in Bonn (now Berlin) and the Canadian Government in Ottawa about the tank trainings in Shilo Manitoba. This Agreement regulated the Status of the Soldiers.

The German army told me, that no German soldier in Shilo had a diplomat status because they worked only for the German Army in Canada and not for an German embassy or a consulate. And they did not work for an international Organisation like the UN or the NATO.

Here is a quote from a German Magazin "The Mirror" from 1974:

"There are (in Shilo), according to an agreement signed in January 1974 between Bonn and Ottawa, west German soldiers perfect their shooting skills"

And I know , that a lot of German childs (I know them by name) who where born to German soldiers are Canadian citizens. Same law for all!!!

Wheaty879

Apr 8, 2014
chakrab said:
wonder how one proves whether a person has diplomatic status? neither govt can't seem to confirm. it's a terrible situation to be in.
its absolutely the hell...and its very difficult to find out.

many things prove that my father had no diplomats status ... but no one can confirm that ... or want to confirm it