+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Diploma or masters pharmacist

Ashprime

Jan 15, 2020
Hello guys,Im an international pharmacist seeking a masters degree or diploma in canada for January winter 2021 intake in Ontario.I have 2 options: one of them is studying a masters in pharmacology in waterloo or western university (I’m not a big fan of thesis programs) and wait until I finish my degree to go for pebc exams.The other option is to go for poatgraduate certificate( 2 years) and go for pebc exams while studying.The main purpose of studying is to get pr during my three year work permit.Masters would make it easier for pr but the certificate can give me some time for pebc exams to do it earlier.Which one is a better option? Just to add that only these 2 universities offer masters programs for pharmacists in winter period.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A masters in pharmacology isn't a masters program for pharmacists. The pharmD is essentially the advanced degree for pharmacists. Without knowing what type lf post grad it is inpossible to comment.

Canada has a guge syrplus of pharmacists and salaries have been decreasing for quite a long time.

Ashprime

Jan 15, 2020
PharmD is only for licensed pharmacists and ,therefore, it’s not an option for me .The main purpose of my question is that which one is a better option for pr.So you don’t advise me to settle there as it still has a better salary than most european countries

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
PharmD is only for licensed pharmacists and ,therefore, it’s not an option for me .The main purpose of my question is that which one is a better option for pr.So you don’t advise me to settle there as it still has a better salary than most european countries
Not familiar with all the salaries in the European countries. Just be aware that the prospects for pharmacists has really changed in North America over the past 15 years. Not the stable in demand job it used to be.

Ashprime

Jan 15, 2020
If u take a look at the job bank, u can recognize that salaries are between 40-60$/hr depending on the experience where this article stated 15-20$.So I can’t count on it

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If u take a look at the job bank, u can recognize that salaries are between 40-60$/hr depending on the experience where this article stated 15-20$.So I can’t count on it
If you want to be a Pharmacist in rural parts of Manitoba, Sask, Alberta, PEI, Nova Scotia then it may be possible but forget about Ontario, BC and Quebec and any other major hub city. All immigrants are thinking the same thing

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you want to be a Pharmacist in rural parts of Manitoba, Sask, Alberta, PEI, Nova Scotia then it may be possible but forget about Ontario, BC and Quebec and any other major hub city. All immigrants are thinking the same thing
No the salary levels have spread to even many rural regions especially in AB although not Quebec. There is also more than an hourly rate. Is this a full-time job, are there benefits. What often happens is that you end up with part-time hours at a few stores with no benefits.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The article didn’t say salaries were $15-20/hour. They said the hourly wage had decreased by $15-20/hr. Most salaries are not posted and the only one I saw at $60/hour was an online pharmacy which may be servicing US customers. Some of the online pharmacies can be questionable. There are other pharmacy jobs posted as low as $32.70/hr and that was for a pharmacy manager.

The job bank figures only show a few salaries in rural areas. A good portion of the listings are in Quebec where you will need to be fully bilingual. Would encourage you to speak to new immigrants who are pharmacists about the situation in Canada. Would look at LinkedIn.

Last edited: