+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficult situation with work permit extension

danaanmi

Oct 4, 2013
Hello,

I have a somewhat difficult situation that I'm not sure how to solve. I'm in Canada on a PGWP, which will expire in June of 2015. I'm currently working, but will (fingers crossed!) soon have an offer for a different job. The job is a tenure-track academic position which is normally a 3-year contract. I have also applied for permanent residency under the Quebec Skilled Worker class (I've received my CSQ and my permanent residency application is in process). However, it appears the my employer cannot have me sign a contract for a period past the end of my work permit, and the one-year extension I could get would not stretch the period to three years. Although it seems likely that my permanent residency application will be approved, that can of course take months.

I hope that whole situation makes sense. What I'm asking: is there any way to extend my PGWP long enough? Can I apply for a regular Temporary Worker visa to bridge that gap? Basically, is there any way for me to become legally able to work for three years from now, despite the fact that I've already had my PGWP for 15 months (working for 11 of those)? Thanks for your help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Your employer would have to obtain an approved Labour Market Opinion and then you would have to apply for a closed work permit with a three year duration.