+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difficult case - became Canadian with A44 report, working in USA, RQ, etc

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Hello fellow forum members,

I finally became Canadian last week… Ceremony was great… This forum has been wonderful and I want to share some lessons learned so others can benefit from my experience

For those who don’t remember me, my application had several issues:
a. I worked in USA before landing and move back to USA with same company that brought me to Canada after submitting my application
b. During the relevant period, I was also student in USA… so I have a LOT of trips to USA
c. I landed in a province other than the province that nominated me (PNP) and received A44 report of misrepresentation (won the case before IRB).
d. I received full RQ before test.

Lessons learned:
1) Always land in the Province that nominates you. You can move afterward but be prepared to explain if asked during citizenship interview.

2) Get CBSA ICES border crossing report and, if traveling to USA a lot, get I-94 report from USA. Check all dates (along with passport stamps and other documents) and include all dates (even same day trips) in the residency calculator

3) Split family if you meet some of the RQ triggers. I did that and my family application was processed in 8 months while mine was more than double that time.

4) If you receive RQ, make sure response is well organized: I included an Index referencing each document I’m providing and related page number. My file received Decision Made less than 2 months after transfer to St Clair (typically the cemetery…)

5) If you moved to USA after applying, get ready for though questioning (somebody has referred to this as the “Great Wall of China” in a different post). You have good chance under old rules (no intent to reside). I knew I meet the letter and the spirit of the law, and that I will prevail at the end of the day.

6) Most importantly, If your file is taking too long, try to keep IRCC on their toes… remember this is a huge bureaucracy, with a lot good people, and some bad ones. Harass them, in an orderly manner, with

 ATIP requests (one month order full physical file, another month request electronic file, another month request copy of specific document such as CIT 0065 – Record of decision or FPAT document). Sometime, these requests remind them to get moving, or they will be bothered by further requests

 Case Specific Inquiry

 Try to locate the email of your MP, the IRCC Director (or other Senior IRCC official in your location), and send email to all requesting update on your file. A good friend of mine got Decision Made 1 day after sending such email out (his file was sitting with CIC for 37 months).

7) Stay busy so the wait does not affect your psych too much and know that if you file is clean (no lies), you will prevail.

On a side note, I wanted the Cons out (very bad people, not just in Canada…), and now I have the chance to vote against them. The Liberals seems to be heading in the right direction and I hope we will all vote “anything but the Cons” in all future elections until the Cons wiped out any remnant of anti-immigrant mentality within the party.
Good luck to all!!!

Timeline
Application received: Dec 2014
Processing start: March 2015
RQ received and replied to: March 2015
Test: Nov 2015
File Transfer to St Clair: Dec 2015
Decision Made: Feb 2016
Oath: May 2016

Reactions: ssudarjothi

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
I am amused by some of these processing times. Less than 18 months from application to oath with a full RQ and all those triggers? This compares to 34 months on a routine application with none of that in a certain prairie location. :(

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
links18 said:
I am amused by some of these processing times. Less than 18 months from application to oath with a full RQ and all those triggers? This compares to 34 months on a routine application with none of that in a certain prairie location. :(
that's why I suggest ACTIVELY following application... I think my high involvement was key the driver behind this positive outcome. As mentioned in my post, I know someone in similar situation who got DM after 37 months (and only after using suggestion #6 from my post).

747-captain

Jan 8, 2015
El Cerrito, CA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC - O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 21, 2014
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
PER: Jan 21, 2015
IELTS Request
Sent with App
File Transfer...
Unknown
Med's Request
Mar 13, 2015 (MR, FBI PCC [app sent to FBI 3/17] and RPRF)
Med's Done....
completed Mar. 23rd, 2015. ECAS 3rd line updated April 3rd.
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
August 08, 2015
VISA ISSUED...
August 13, 2015
LANDED..........
Feb 23, 2016
arambi said:

I finally became Canadian last week… Ceremony was great… This forum has been wonderful and I want to share some lessons learned so others can benefit from my experience

For those who don’t remember me, my application had several issues:
a. I worked in USA before landing and move back to USA with same company that brought me to Canada after submitting my application
b. During the relevant period, I was also student in USA… so I have a LOT of trips to USA
c. I landed in a province other than the province that nominated me (PNP) and received A44 report of misrepresentation (won the case before IRB).
d. I received full RQ before test.

Lessons learned:
1) Always land in the Province that nominates you. You can move afterward but be prepared to explain if asked during citizenship interview.

2) Get CBSA ICES border crossing report and, if traveling to USA a lot, get I-94 report from USA. Check all dates (along with passport stamps and other documents) and include all dates (even same day trips) in the residency calculator

3) Split family if you meet some of the RQ triggers. I did that and my family application was processed in 8 months while mine was more than double that time.

4) If you receive RQ, make sure response is well organized: I included an Index referencing each document I’m providing and related page number. My file received Decision Made less than 2 months after transfer to St Clair (typically the cemetery…)

5) If you moved to USA after applying, get ready for though questioning (somebody has referred to this as the “Great Wall of China” in a different post). You have good chance under old rules (no intent to reside). I knew I meet the letter and the spirit of the law, and that I will prevail at the end of the day.

6) Most importantly, If your file is taking too long, try to keep IRCC on their toes… remember this is a huge bureaucracy, with a lot good people, and some bad ones. Harass them, in an orderly manner, with

 ATIP requests (one month order full physical file, another month request electronic file, another month request copy of specific document such as CIT 0065 – Record of decision or FPAT document). Sometime, these requests remind them to get moving, or they will be bothered by further requests

 Case Specific Inquiry

 Try to locate the email of your MP, the IRCC Director (or other Senior IRCC official in your location), and send email to all requesting update on your file. A good friend of mine got Decision Made 1 day after sending such email out (his file was sitting with CIC for 37 months).

7) Stay busy so the wait does not affect your psych too much and know that if you file is clean (no lies), you will prevail.

On a side note, I wanted the Cons out (very bad people, not just in Canada…), and now I have the chance to vote against them. The Liberals seems to be heading in the right direction and I hope we will all vote “anything but the Cons” in all future elections until the Cons wiped out any remnant of anti-immigrant mentality within the party.
Good luck to all!!!

Timeline
Application received: Dec 2014
Processing start: March 2015
RQ received and replied to: March 2015
Test: Nov 2015
File Transfer to St Clair: Dec 2015
Decision Made: Feb 2016
Oath: May 2016
Thanks! Your post is outstanding and outlines your experiences and suggestions very clearly and is likely to be incredibly useful to many of us!

My situation is very similar to yours. I've applied for Permanent Residence through adjustment of status in the US (family petition I130/I485). Due to various prior complications, my case has been in "limbo" for the last 19+ years, with USCIS giving me the ultimate run around (they keep renewing my Work Authorization and they've even given me an advance parole, but there is no finality to the case so far). It is because of this that I decided to immigrate to Canada.

I returned to the US on my advance parole at the end of March (after landing in Feb and travelling internationally). Most likely I will work here in the US for a year (or possibly even 2 years) as I am a FRESHLY MINTED graduate, and there are very limited opportunities for work in Canada, even though I would consider my field (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) to be in demand (but maybe not in Canada).

So, I effectively have only 10 days accumulated so far in Canada. If I return to Canada after, say, 2 years, I'm sure they will want to know why I came back to the US after landing in Canada and worked there for such a long time! (even though I plan on avoiding and keeping to the BARE MINIMUM trips to the US and elsewhere AFTER moving to Canada permanently, until I'm eligible to apply for citizenship). I'm not sure if the above situation would be an RQ trigger, but the suggestions in your post will help me keep things moving along as fast as possible, even if I end up getting that dreaded RQ trigger!

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
747-captain said:
Thanks! Your post is outstanding and outlines your experiences and suggestions very clearly and is likely to be incredibly useful to many of us!

My situation is very similar to yours. I've applied for Permanent Residence through adjustment of status in the US (family petition I130/I485). Due to various prior complications, my case has been in "limbo" for the last 19+ years, with USCIS giving me the ultimate run around (they keep renewing my Work Authorization and they've even given me an advance parole, but there is no finality to the case so far). It is because of this that I decided to immigrate to Canada.

I returned to the US on my advance parole at the end of March (after landing in Feb and travelling internationally). Most likely I will work here in the US for a year (or possibly even 2 years) as I am a FRESHLY MINTED graduate, and there are very limited opportunities for work in Canada, even though I would consider my field (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) to be in demand (but maybe not in Canada).

So, I effectively have only 10 days accumulated so far in Canada. If I return to Canada after, say, 2 years, I'm sure they will want to know why I came back to the US after landing in Canada and worked there for such a long time! (even though I plan on avoiding and keeping to the BARE MINIMUM trips to the US and elsewhere AFTER moving to Canada permanently, until I'm eligible to apply for citizenship). I'm not sure if the above situation would be an RQ trigger, but the suggestions in your post will help me keep things moving along as fast as possible, even if I end up getting that dreaded RQ trigger!
Good luck 747-captain!!!

Now just to clear I had more than 3 years of well documented physical presence in Canada.
Also, intent to reside was not in force when I applied... Just things to take into consideration

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:

Lessons learned:

 Case Specific Inquiry

Good luck to all!!!
arambi, first of all, congrats, you really did a great job on that one!

I do have a couple questions on some points you have mentioned here:
a. did you split your family application from the first place i.e. sent your application and the rest of your family apps in 2 different envelops OR sent it in one envelope and requested a split later on?
b. what is CIT 0065 document about and how to request that one?
c. Have you got GTA's locations IRCC directors emails in hand? I tried to google those in vain.

Thanks very much and congrats again!

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
HighFive said:
arambi, first of all, congrats, you really did a great job on that one!

I do have a couple questions on some points you have mentioned here:
a. did you split your family application from the first place i.e. sent your application and the rest of your family apps in 2 different envelops OR sent it in one envelope and requested a split later on?
c. Have you got GTA's locations IRCC directors emails in hand? I tried to google those in vain.

Thanks very much and congrats again!
a. Sent my application and the rest of my family apps in 2 different envelops (one month apart)

That's record of decision (you signed it after test). A copy will tell you if decision has been made or not, and if made, what is the decision.
You can request a copy through ATIP like any other document relating to your application

I don't have for GTA, I do have the one for Regina, SK.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
arambi said:

 Case Specific Inquiry
Congrats Arambi! Its great to know that you achieved this important milestone.
Aside from ATIP physical notes, what is FPAT Document? Can we order it through ATIP.
In the past I did order ATIP with specific info regarding my case I am seeking but I got only the regular electronic ATIP. I plan to order one sometime next month and was curious to know if I could get the Long FPAT or the info in can be helpful.

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
Exports said:
Congrats Arambi! Its great to know that you achieved this important milestone.
Aside from ATIP physical notes, what is FPAT Document? Can we order it through ATIP.
In the past I did order ATIP with specific info regarding my case I am seeking but I got only the regular electronic ATIP. I plan to order one sometime next month and was curious to know if I could get the Long FPAT or the info in can be helpful.
FPAT is typically generated for those who receive RQ. it shows IRCC's concers regarding you application. Yes, you can order it through ATIP (as physical case file... then specifically FPAT). I requested one and they sent me the short form. I did useful info in the FPAT.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arambi said:
a. Sent my application and the rest of my family apps in 2 different envelops (one month apart)
Gotcha

That's record of decision (you signed it after test). A copy will tell you if decision has been made or not, and if made, what is the decision.
You can request a copy through ATIP like any other document relating to your application
I dont see the option to request that doc thru ATIP under the Privacy Act. Does it come as a part of full scan of your physical file on CD? Kindly advise.

so how did you get it for Regina ? pls share your experience.

Exports

Star Member
Aug 10, 2015
HighFive said:
arambi said:
Gotcha

I dont see the option to request that doc thru ATIP under the Privacy Act. Does it come as a part of full scan of your physical file on CD? Kindly advise.

I think u can specify when u request physical files in ATIP.
And in physical files I get full set. I remember mine and my wife's as it mentioned the officers notes after the test.

redfox05

Star Member
Sep 26, 2015
United Kingdom
NOC Code......
2173 Software engineers and designers
App. Filed.......
25/01/2016
AOR Received.
25/01/2016
Med's Request
Upfront Medical
Med's Done....
29/01/2016
Passport Req..
07/06/2016
VISA ISSUED...
06/2016 (Not exact for security)
LANDED..........
07/2016 (Not exact for security)
Hi,

Great post! Very interesting read.

Maybe I misunderstood, but are you saying you became a citizen within 18 months? Is that with PR and everything, or did you already have PR before that? I'm sure it must be the latter, as you need to be living in Canada for 3-4 years or something (cant remember exact dates for new rules) before you can become eligible for Citizenship right?

Typos / More info Requests
Just a few requests to update your first post, typos wise to make it easier for others.

"I did that and my family application was processed in 8 months while mine was more than double that time."
You seem to be saying two opposite things here in the same sentence. Yours was 8 months AND double?

Can you explain what RQ is for those not familiar? Im from the Express Entry board, and we just received a link on our WhatsApp group to come and read this post :)

When you mentioned "The Cons" and then saying they are bad people, I thought you meant Convicts, but after reading the rest of the paragraphs, I presume you are referring to a political party? Did you mean "The Conservatives?" I'm not clued up with politics at all, so that was a guess based on the closest matched name I could think of.

But I would suggest using the Full name instead of an abbreviation, as we have people from all sorts of background who won't immediately understand. And given its a political context many could feel touchy about it or get the wrong idea, so best to know exactly what you meant :)

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HighFive said:
arambi said:
Gotcha

Have exactly same questions. I've sent the mail to St.clair office (few months back) and addressed it to superior officer (no name no nothing, hard to find this kind of info)... Haven't heard anything back from anyone.
P.S. Call agent told, few weeks back, that the delay on my application is my fault, cause I was requesting ATIPs (physical and electronic) files and was grilling them from every side...
I asked her to repeat herself and told her it's complete bullshit (in a polite form). I don't have their nerves anymore.

HighFive

Mar 13, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ambient2 said:
Have exactly same questions. I've sent the mail to St.clair office (few months back) and addressed it to superior offices (no name no nothing, hard to find this kind of info)... Haven't heard anything back from anyone.
P.S. Call agent told, few weeks back, that the delay on my application is my fault, cause I was requesting ATIPs (physical and electronic) files and was grilling them from every side...
I asked her to repeat herself and told her it's complete bullshit (in a polite form). I don't have their nerves anymore.
yeap. Looks like marasmus of CIC/IRCC agents has a new level of strength now :) You had to tell her - cause agents like you do lie to me every single time when I call this line I did order ATIPs every single month. You would see her "shut up" reaction on this one :D

It would be great to get GTA's offices directors emails, just as she said - to grill them more from every side :D

ambient2

May 30, 2015
Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HighFive said:
yeap. Looks like marasmus of CIC/IRCC agents has a new level of strength now :) You had to tell her - cause agents like you do lie to me every single time when I call this line I did order ATIPs every single month. You would see her "shut up" reaction on this one :D

It would be great to get GTA's offices directors emails, just as she said - to grill them more from every side :D
Where exactly is your application? I found the phone number for St.Clair office today, will try it out on Monday