+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different Names in Passport and PR Card

saranha26

Jul 31, 2013
Hi, I am a Filipino Citizen and a Permanent Resident of Canada. I got married last June 30, 2013. I applied for a new Philippine passport. Since I am not a Canadian Citizen yet, I have to comply with Philippine law regarding change of name. Legally back home, as a married woman, I assume my husband's surname and my maiden surname as my new middle name. My passport name will be Amor Bautista Partridge from Amor Avila Bautista. But here in Canada, they don't change your middle name. They will just assume my husband's name as change. That's about it. So all of my ID's and PR card will be Amor Avila Partridge. Until I get my Citizenship and Canadian passport, I will have to use my Philippine passport with future travelling. I and husband are planning to go to Mexico next March of 2014 for honeymoon. Is my different name in passport and PR card will be a problem going in and out of Mexico? I called Border Agency of Canada and told me that this will not be a problem with them. It is the Mexican Border I would have to confirm, if there will be a problem. I hope someone can help with some answers to this. Thanks so much.

IamAlbertan

Star Member
Feb 19, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
15-10-2011
That should not be an issue as long as you bring your Marriage Certificate with you.

chariz01

Jun 19, 2018
hi i have the same situation. i renew my passport when i got married in the phils so my name is corrected using the phil law which is maiden name and husbands last name.but my pr card is my moms maiden name and my husbands last name and im travling to the phils in dec..i am abt to renew my.pr card to make sure it will match my passport but i realized they will not follow the phil.passport since the rule is different. do i need to legally change my name here in canada? i tried to call the phils.embassy ut they said i already renewed my passport and they will.not chamge it. how can i travel to phils?

chariz01

Jun 19, 2018
Hi, I am a Filipino Citizen and a Permanent Resident of Canada. I got married last June 30, 2013. I applied for a new Philippine passport. Since I am not a Canadian Citizen yet, I have to comply with Philippine law regarding change of name. Legally back home, as a married woman, I assume my husband's surname and my maiden surname as my new middle name. My passport name will be Amor Bautista Partridge from Amor Avila Bautista. But here in Canada, they don't change your middle name. They will just assume my husband's name as change. That's about it. So all of my ID's and PR card will be Amor Avila Partridge. Until I get my Citizenship and Canadian passport, I will have to use my Philippine passport with future travelling. I and husband are planning to go to Mexico next March of 2014 for honeymoon. Is my different name in passport and PR card will be a problem going in and out of Mexico? I called Border Agency of Canada and told me that this will not be a problem with them. It is the Mexican Border I would have to confirm, if there will be a problem. I hope someone can help with some answers to this. Thanks so much.

Facun

Sep 15, 2018
Hi,
Any update about your situation?Right now I experiencing the same.Can you still travel even though your passport is different from your PR card?

bhingz

Nov 26, 2018
any update regarding this situation.. ??need help! if there’s a problem coming back here, with the different names in PR and passport..??

Facun

Sep 15, 2018
Hi,
I contacted the Philippine Consulate and they issued a Certification of One and the Same Person.They also advised to always bring the cetification everytime I will going back home or coming back in Canada.

bhingz

Nov 26, 2018
Hi,
I contacted the Philippine Consulate and they issued a Certification of One and the Same Person.They also advised to always bring the cetification everytime I will going back home or coming back in Canada.
do you need to go in person to get the
Hi,
how much for the certification? and do you get it right away? thank you so much for your help.

Facun

Sep 15, 2018
Hi,
After I sent an email to Philippine Consulate Vancouver they advised me to sent a 2 copies each for my Marriage cert.,Birth cert.,Canadian Id,Passport,a money order of $33.75 payable to Philippine Consulate General,and a Self-addressed Xpresspost prepaid envelope with tracking number to be used to send the certification to me..No I don't have to go in person just mail to them the requirements.After they received the requirements they issued right away the certification.