+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different name on PR and passport

Evski

Jan 19, 2016
Hi Guys!

I have a question for you all ... I received my new passport and my first name is slightly different than on my PR card. Every year they have new rules about transcription of the names ... On my PR card my name is Evgenia (like on my old passport) and on my new passport is Evgeniya. Do you think I'm gonna have problem when I cross the border? or it doesn't matter? They just added an extra letter to my name ... but everything else remains the same.

Please advise.

Thanks

jairichi

Champion Member
Jan 21, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Evski said:
Hi Guys!

I have a question for you all ... I received my new passport and my first name is slightly different than on my PR card. Every year they have new rules about transcription of the names ... On my PR card my name is Evgenia (like on my old passport) and on my new passport is Evgeniya. Do you think I'm gonna have problem when I cross the border? or it doesn't matter? They just added an extra letter to my name ... but everything else remains the same.

Please advise.

Thanks
In my opinion you need to get your passport name corrected.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
jairichi said:
In my opinion you need to get your passport name corrected.
passport is a legal document showing your identity for travel purposes. What will happen if you book an air ticket in your proper name but your passport shows the incorrect name you will not be able to board. If you knowingly book in the incorrect name shown in the passport whilst will match the ticket could that worst case be considered using a false identity. A bit extreme I know but these days security issues get high focus especially anything to do with identity documents, so sorry to say get it changed.

Even carrying the old passport with the new probably will not work as you have no legal document showing a legal name change.

Evski

Jan 19, 2016
Well i cant just go to my embassy and tell them you know guys i dont like my first name with the an extra Y, please take it back lol :D im pretty sure they will tell me to go somewhere nice ....
The issue is - do i need to change my PR card?? ... on the CIC website it even says that if your name is more than 24 letters - there will be no space to put it all on the card .... so does it mean that in my case its okay that in my passport my first name has an extra letter and my PR it does not?! .... i know its very confusing and frustrating.... im gonna call them tomorrow.

Regards the airlines .. i called them and they said that they have a name auto correct option, where you can adjust your name.