+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Different Name in Birth Certificate

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Hello All,

I'm planning to apply under CEC and see that I need to submit copy my Birth Certificate as part of the application. In my birth certificate, my name is mentioned as Ranjith P where as the name in Passport and other documents has the last name expanded. Changing the birth certificate seems to be a lengthy process so I'm considering submitting a notarized "one and the same person" affidavit instead. Has someone done this before? Also what would the best format for this affidavit - a declaration from myself or one from my parents or one from someone else who has known me?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You may have to submit proof of your identity along with an affidavit.
Your high school/secondary school certificate is an ideal proof, if it shows the date of birth and father's address. You need to submit a notarized copy of the relevant pages of that certificate.
If you go to any Notary, he will draft you the required contents for the affidavit. Any how you have to pay the fee for the preparation of affidavit.

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
Thanks so much Wilson for taking the time to respond!

My Passport has complete name as Ranjith Pxxxxxxxxxx and DOB. Same applies for my Indian PAN Card (which I consider submitting as a National Id), Ontario Driver's License and Canada Work Permit.

My Birth Certificate/high school certificate /secondary school certificate have my name as Ranjith P along with the DOB and my father's name.

I'll anyway send copies of Passport and WP with the application. So I can add notarized copy of an id with DOB/initials as well along with a "one and the same person affidavit" and hope that'll be ok!

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are welcome Ranjith. Go ahead as mentioned. If CIC need any additional documents, they will ask you.

spring.bustle

Star Member
May 26, 2012
Hi Ranjit,

I've the same issue - can you please tell whether you had to submit an affidavit to certify that your name is same?

Kindly reply.

Thanks,
Spring

RanjithP

Feb 20, 2012
spring.bustle said:
Hi Ranjit,

I've the same issue - can you please tell whether you had to submit an affidavit to certify that your name is same?

Kindly reply.

Thanks,
Spring
I had submitted the application without an affidavit. I did get the AOR, so must have passed initial screening. I know similar cases where applicants went through fine and received their PR as well.