+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference in PR expiry according to PR card and landing (COPR) signed by immigration officer

CA_Immigration_Noob

May 18, 2018
Hi,

tl;dr : Date to consider as last date for residency obligation is to be taken as per landing COPR signed by immigration official (and hence the actual date of landing) or according to PR card?

Details -
I did a soft landing and came back to my home country India. I haven't been able to go to Canada since then - first due to the travel restrictions on place and then due to some personal issues. This is a query on when is the latest i can land in Canada to ensure my PR status does not lapse.

I did a soft landing on Mar 9th 2020. Going by this, my PR status is valid till Mar 8th 2025 and since I need to spend min 730 days to retain PR status, then the latest I can land in Canada and fulfill my residency obligation (assuming I stay in Canada for 730 days at a stretch) is 9th March 2023.

However, my PR card mentions its expiry date as 17th Sept 2025 (there was some delay due to Covid in issuance of PR card i guess). According to this, the latest I can land in Canada and fulfill my residency obligation (assuming I stay in Canada for 730 days at a stretch) is 18th Sept 2025.

So which one do I consider as the last possible date for me to land up in Canada?
Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. : Apologies if I am creating a new thread for a topic that has already been discussed - I wasn't able to locate one that addresses such a scenario.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Hi,

tl;dr : Date to consider as last date for residency obligation is to be taken as per landing COPR signed by immigration official (and hence the actual date of landing) or according to PR card?

Details -
I did a soft landing and came back to my home country India. I haven't been able to go to Canada since then - first due to the travel restrictions on place and then due to some personal issues. This is a query on when is the latest i can land in Canada to ensure my PR status does not lapse.

I did a soft landing on Mar 9th 2020. Going by this, my PR status is valid till Mar 8th 2025 and since I need to spend min 730 days to retain PR status, then the latest I can land in Canada and fulfill my residency obligation (assuming I stay in Canada for 730 days at a stretch) is 9th March 2023.

However, my PR card mentions its expiry date as 17th Sept 2025 (there was some delay due to Covid in issuance of PR card i guess). According to this, the latest I can land in Canada and fulfill my residency obligation (assuming I stay in Canada for 730 days at a stretch) is 18th Sept 2025.

So which one do I consider as the last possible date for me to land up in Canada?
Any help would be appreciated.

P.S. : Apologies if I am creating a new thread for a topic that has already been discussed - I wasn't able to locate one that addresses such a scenario.
residency obligation starts from landing date, not PR expiry.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
It's your landing date. It's your choice to do actual landing or soft landing. But it's your first day to enter as PR.