+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between Study permit and Study Visa?

poojaputhran

Feb 22, 2018
I need to know what's the difference between Study Visa and study permit.
I will be going to Toronto for a short term course for 10 weeks. I have been issued a student visa (SX-1) multiple entry valid for 10 years. How does it work for me. Please Adv

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
There is no such thing as a study visa, if you applied for a study permit then you get a Temporary Residence Visa TRV in your passport and then you will get a Study Permit at the airport which is a piece of paper.

Reactions: Hew123

poojaputhran

Feb 22, 2018
There is no such thing as a study visa, if you applied for a study permit then you get a Temporary Residence Visa TRV in your passport and then you will get a Study Permit at the airport which is a piece of paper.
But I have got a student visa (SX-1) multiple entry and not TRV.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Okay got it. I haven't got any Letter of introduction which is needed at the Port of Entry. Will it be a problem? Thanks.
You don't get that for visitor visa even some students never receive it, its not a big deal.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=845
What is a POE Letter?
It is the letter you will receive from IRCC if you have been approved for a:
  • study permit
  • work permit, or
  • Super Visa (only if you are from a country that does not require a visitor visa).
It is sometimes called the Correspondence Letter, Introduction or Introductory Letter. Officially, it is called the Port of Entry (POE) Letter of Introduction. The Letter of Introduction is not your study or work permit.

Keep this letter. You must show this letter to officials at the port of entry when you arrive in Canada to get your study or work permit.