+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between status and Validity

rohitnar

Nov 14, 2012
I live in the US and I have a TRV valid till September 1st,2013. I visit Canada once every couple of months for a day or 2. The stamp in my TRV passport page was last done in May 2013. My questions are

1) If I re-enter Canada by September 1st on a TRV, can I visit/stay beyond September 1st? I read somewhere that the status is 6 months from your last stamp which in my case is May 2013 + 6 months. So I can visit in Canada till November 2013, right?

2) TRV extension. I read somewhere that a TRV extension can be applied from within Canada 1 month before expiry. Is it one month before expiry of status or expiry of validity of TRV?

Someone who knows this really well, please explain the difference bwteen TRV validity and TRV status.

Thanks

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,

rohitnar said:
I live in the US and I have a TRV valid till September 1st,2013. I visit Canada once every couple of months for a day or 2. The stamp in my TRV passport page was last done in May 2013. My questions are
I am assuming you have a multiple-entry visa that allows you to enter and re-enter Canada - is that right?

1) If I re-enter Canada by September 1st on a TRV, can I visit/stay beyond September 1st? I read somewhere that the status is 6 months from your last stamp which in my case is May 2013 + 6 months. So I can visit in Canada till November 2013, right?
See here...http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=442&t=16 and here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=209&t=17

2) TRV extension. I read somewhere that a TRV extension can be applied from within Canada 1 month before expiry. Is it one month before expiry of status or expiry of validity of TRV?
30 days before expiry of your status

... please explain the difference bwteen TRV validity and TRV status.
Validity is the duration for which the visa is valid and can be used by the holder to enter/re-enter Canada.

Temporary resident or Visitor status is accorded to the holder of a temporary resident visa within the duration of the authorized stay. Please see the links I posted above to know how to ascertain duration of authorized stay.

/...all the best...