+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

difference between security and criminality check... who conducts what?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
March 27, 2017, July 10, 2017
AOR Received.
AOR 1:March 17 2017 AOR 2: May 10, 2017
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
what is the difference between the security check and the criminality check in the background check? who conducts these checks?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Criminality check: Your police certificate, RCMP, and Interpol being asked if you've committed crimes.

Security check: Asking CSIS and their allies if they believe you're involved with extremists, terrorists, etc.
thank you! at what point do they start the security check if its needed?

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Yeah I have seen different answers posted about this lol
im assuming they are all different, as background check is criminality and security assessment and eligibility is its own assessment based on notes...

Reactions: zagi

Dougmeadows

Mar 26, 2017
im assuming they are all different, as background check is criminality and security assessment and eligibility is its own assessment based on notes...
Yeah this is what I thought as well! I have ready so many different things though! Wish we could find a definite answer!

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
Just to note, the security check is ALWAYS needed. It doesn't matter where you are from or what your background is.
I figured as much ... just wasnt sure based off first reply to my question

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016
Med's Done....
08-06-2016
Passport Req..
21-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-12-2016
LANDED..........
11-04-2017
AIUI, the 'background check' is 'politically correct' speak for 'we are checking all of our security and criminal databases to see if you are on it, are a known associate of anyone that is on it, have a name and date of birth the same or close to anyone that is on it etc.

This all takes place in 'background check'.

As to precisely WHO conducts them - dunno. This is the sort of check that I suspect the NSA would do in the USA, or GCHQ would do in the UK (i.e. the 'five eyes') - although they may simply open their query tools to the embassy staff in question to do the checks, or perhaps the embassy staff have to send it off to the security agency - either way, you ain't gonna get them to say one way or the other!

Mine sailed through within 2 days, but then I have a very unusual surname, so easily checked.

Screenager

May 25, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
here's a good piece of info from @Eagle333 about BGCs:

"Background checks are done through many companies such as and not limited to these 6.

1. CSIS: Security screening, Espionage and Foreign interference, Terrorism, Weapon of mass destruction,
Human trafficking, CSIS works with many agencies around the globe and they like the FBI or CIA. I happened to contact them in 2013 when I was sponsoring my spouse because the background checks were taking too long and they responded me. So you can actually write to them and request to know about your background checks

2. INTERPOL:

•Help officials – senior law enforcers, policy makers and decision makers – deal more effectively with uncertainty and new challenges;
•Provide timely warning of threats;
•Support operational activities and complex investigations.

Types of analysis

Criminal intelligence analysis is divided into operational (or tactical) and strategic analysis.

The basic skills required are similar, the two categories differ with regard to the level of detail and the type of client for whom the products
are designed. Operational analysis aims to achieve a specific law enforcement outcome. This might be an arrest, seizure, forfeiture of assets or money gained from criminal activities, or the disruption of a criminal group.

Operational analytical support includes:
•Identifying links between suspects, and their involvement in crimes and criminal activity;
•Identifying key investigative or information gaps;
•Preparing profiles of known or suspected criminals.

Strategic analysis is intended to inform higher level decision makers, and the benefits are realized over the long term.

The intention is to provide early warning of threats and to support senior decision makers in preparing their organizations to deal with emerging criminal issues. This might include allocating resources to different types of crime, or increasing training in a particular crime-fighting technique.

Strategic analysis includes the identification of:
•Crime trends and patterns;
•Emerging threats;
•The potential impact of external factors such as technology, demographics or economics on crime.

In every country there is an Interpol office.

3. RCMP: You may need a criminal record check for various purposes, including: employment, adoption, international travel, volunteer work, citizenship, name change, student placement or to obtain a record suspension

4. If you were an ex Policeman, ex military , ex diplomat, ex government member, ex secret serviceman, your checks will be very deep than a simple citizen

5. Number of trips you did to some red flagged regions of the world, if there is any immigration laws you have been broken in the past, any warrant against you in the countries you visited more that 6 months.

6. Your full name and date of birth sound familiar like someone they have been looking for around the world

During this period you can now understand why CIC has no control over your file anymore and they usually don't like to reply to some emails of why the process is taking too long. They will only tell you we are waiting for background checks to finish. It can take from one months to some extend 12 months because there is no way to control this period.

7. Anytime your file does not make sense about dates, locations, occupation, Fake school certificate or marriage these things will make the VO to extend the processing time in order to work with the issuing government of any documentation your provided. These are good ingredient of an interview.

So CSIS is the leading government third party that works with other agencies around the world. There was one guy in Italy who had a criminal conviction but he hid it in the end CIC found out through CSIS and this person was charged with misrepresentation. based on the notes they might have left on his profile. A lady in Ghana produced Fake school certificate and CIC found it and they did not trust any documents she sent, her file was rejected and banned from applying to come to Canada. There are so many stories we can tell. When our files are in background checks a lot do happen. If you research a lot you will learn a lot too. ""

starnaenae

Champion Member
Aug 9, 2016
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
March 1 2017
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
April 8, 2017
Med's Request
Upfront - PASSED
Med's Done....
December 12 2016
Interview........
NOT REQUIRED
Passport Req..
March 5, 2018
VISA ISSUED...
March 13, 2018
LANDED..........
April 30, 2018
So, if a person has a visitor visa of Canada, Time of check background will be faster??Just Curious a little.
No. My husband is in canada on a visitor visa and his background check has been in process for more than three months. Being here in canada has no bearing on anything

Reactions: Onceagain2step

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
So, if a person has a visitor visa of Canada, Time of check background will be faster??Just Curious a little.
No, it will not be faster. IRCC will not look at previous checks done for a TRV app, as they are not up-to-date or as in-depth as the checks performed for a PR app.

Reactions: Onceagain2step