+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between security and background checks

philus

Oct 14, 2016
Hi All,

I called a CIC agent last week to inquire why my application is taking longer than necessary. Part of the discussion was that my background check has been completed and that I'm awaiting security check. Any idea what the difference between the two is please. Also, I was wondering if a complete background check (criminal check) would mean police certificates have been verified. I initially had problem with one of my police certificates (mistake in dates) which resulted in returning my EE application when I first applied, so curious to know if I can have a full rest of mind over police certificate-related cases.

Thanks.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
Background check is verifying the information in your application. Security check is done by CSIS to make sure you're not a threat to national security.

Reactions: upon

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
Background check is verifying the information in your application. Security check is done by CSIS to make sure you're not a threat to national security.
When they ask for ADR such as CV, Schedule A or your previous work experience... is that usually the officer wants to perform a security screening? Or background checks?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
When they ask for ADR such as CV, Schedule A or your previous work experience... is that usually the officer wants to perform a security screening? Or background checks?
Background and/or eligibility. Security screening is like... have you ever been a member of Al-Qaeda?

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
So it means it is a quick check within CIC and not a long from outside of CIC? Shall I keep my hopes high?
Can't say that because everyone's background is different...

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
Got same request yesterday...what's your field of study
Aerospace engineer... And being from Iran originally, my application is probably a badass candidate for background/security checks...

What's your timeline? I'm finishing 8 months

Datovid

Jul 8, 2018
Aerospace engineer... And being from Iran originally, my application is probably a badass candidate for background/security checks...

What's your timeline? I'm finishing 8 months
Aor dec1...I submitted yesterday and my Adr message this morning changed to N/A..Was there a column called Cv in your portal cos mine was to be put under additional client information...My request letter also had this words "We have begun processing your application for permanent residence, and in order to make a decision".... Is it same with yours?

rajahoomi

May 20, 2018
Aor dec1...I submitted yesterday and my Adr message this morning changed to N/A..Was there a column called Cv in your portal cos mine was to be put under additional client information...My request letter also had this words "We have begun processing your application for permanent residence, and in order to make a decision".... Is it same with yours?
Yes that's a common template they send to people. Mine had 2 spots! They asked for 3 things:
CV
Supplementary form for my education background
And a fresh new Schedule A form (probably because I had a change of address)
So I combined CV/Supp From into 1 and then Schedule A had its own place to upload.

Datovid

Jul 8, 2018
Yes that's a common template they send to people. Mine had 2 spots! They asked for 3 things:
CV
So I combined CV/Supp From into 1 and then Schedule A had its own place to upload.
OK..Fingers crossed..I've seen people that got ppr quickly after this

Datovid

Jul 8, 2018
CV
Did you do biometrics?..For biometrics applicant,the trend shows the processing is faster after this request