+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between Offer of Employment and Letter of Employment

csiiwyj

May 18, 2016
Scottygirl said:
My hubby has been working in Canada for the past 3 years with the same company so we uploaded the same letter under 'offer of employment' and 'letter of employment'. He has an LMIA though so not sure if that makes a difference.
I am confusing with these two documents too. Does your approach uploading the same letter of offer of employment in "offer of employment" and "letter of employment" work?

Belly007

Mar 12, 2017
@ JosephAsk

I am in the exact same boat as you, that being I have a job offer that is not LMIA. I have checked my answers and they are correct and my CRS does not have the extra 50 points for a "Valid Job Offer" however I am required to submit both the "Offer of employment" and "Letter of Employment"

Could anyone point out some advice that has been tried and tested to work with regards to what to submit.

I am considering submitting the same document for both and then explaining in my LOE (letter of explanation) that upon accepting verbally my offer of employment I did not receive a written document until I requested one later on in the year, thus becoming my official letter of employment.

Please let me know if anyone sees any issues with this or knows a better alternative solution :)

P.s JosephAsk what did you do with your dilemma? ???

ninsam

Dec 14, 2016
@Belly007
I am in the exact situation as you now. I am working in Canada and I did not get points for Valid Job Offer. But it is still asking for both "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". What did you do?

Thanks!

sm310

May 30, 2017
For the question 'do you have a job offer', you should answer NO if you do not have an LMIA.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/offer.asp
That is not true. You should answer Yes if it is a full-time offer for at least one year, continuous and non-seasonal. In the same section of the application follows the question: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada? This is where you can answer NO if you do not have an LMIA.

@Belly007
I am in the exact situation as you now. I am working in Canada and I did not get points for Valid Job Offer. But it is still asking for both "Offer of Employment" and "Letter of Employment". What did you do?

Thanks!
I was in a similar situation back when I applied in March of this year (CEC inland). I was asked for my "Offer of Employment", "Letter of Employment" and "Employment Record" for my current job which is a permanent full-time position. I uploaded the same document for "Letter of Employment" and "Employment Record" since it fulfilled the requirements for both sections. I also added a Letter of Explanation stating that I had done that. I also pointed out in my explanation letter that the NOC skill level was not mentioned in my Offer of Employment since that isn't part of the template that my organization uses. However, the NOC skill level was stated in the document uploaded for Letter of Employment/Employment Record.

I received the PPR email on May 30th and my application was approved on June 8th so it all worked :)

picklee

Feb 19, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is not true. You should answer Yes if it is a full-time offer for at least one year, continuous and non-seasonal. In the same section of the application follows the question: Was a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) issued for the job offer in Canada? This is where you can answer NO if you do not have an LMIA.

I was in a similar situation back when I applied in March of this year (CEC inland). I was asked for my "Offer of Employment", "Letter of Employment" and "Employment Record" for my current job which is a permanent full-time position. I uploaded the same document for "Letter of Employment" and "Employment Record" since it fulfilled the requirements for both sections. I also added a Letter of Explanation stating that I had done that. I also pointed out in my explanation letter that the NOC skill level was not mentioned in my Offer of Employment since that isn't part of the template that my organization uses. However, the NOC skill level was stated in the document uploaded for Letter of Employment/Employment Record.

I received the PPR email on May 30th and my application was approved on June 8th so it all worked :)
Read the link. You also need to meet other conditions (1, 2, or 3):

and either:

1. the employer making you the job offer has a new positive Labour Market Impact Assessment from Employment and Social Development Canada that approves the offer and names you and your position

OR

2. you are currently working in Canada in a NOC 0, A or B job on a work permit that was issued based on a Labour Market Impact Assessment, and
    • you are working for an employer listed on your work permit,
    • you are authorized to work in Canada on the day you apply for a permanent resident visa, and when the visa is issued, and
    • your current employer made you an offer to give you a full-time job for at least one year if you are accepted as a permanent resident
    OR

3. you have a valid work permit for a NOC 0, A or B job that is exempt from needing an LMIA, and you:
    • are currently working for an employer specified on the work permit
    • have one year of full-time work experience (or an equal amount of part-time work) for that employer and
    • have a valid job offer from that employer for at least one year after we issue your permanent resident visa.
Most people can avoid this confusion by answering no to the question about job offer. Most people will not qualify for the job offer points if they don't have LMIA.

I also had a one year job offer, but knew that it didn't qualify for the points. Sitting here with PPR and less paperwork.

sm310

May 30, 2017
Read the link. You also need to meet other conditions (1, 2, or 3):

Most people can avoid this confusion by answering no to the question about job offer. Most people will not qualify for the job offer points if they don't have LMIA.

I also had a one year job offer, but knew that it didn't qualify for the points. Sitting here with PPR and less paperwork.
I see. I thought there was a difference between "job offer" and a "valid job offer" and assumed that choosing the "job offer" route would be slightly better since it shows you have a permanent position. But of course if the job offer letter isn't handy and requires more paperwork then I guess your point makes sense.

otman

Star Member
Oct 16, 2011
Did you answer yes to job offer and no to LMIA? This document comes up when that happens.

Go back and change it to no for job offer and that second document requirement will go away.
he cam still be eligible to go back and change profile after he click on continue for documents checklist

Anonymous456

Aug 27, 2019

I am working in Canada for more than 3 years and I said Yes for a job offer without LMAI. I have an assignment End date which is 1.5 year with my compensation and role and responsibilities and my work permit does not need LMAI.
1: These considered valid for a Job offer fro 50 extra?
2: Also Is it fine to upload the same document for the offer of employment and letter of employment?
3: What should be added in the Letter of Explanation?
4: Is the Letter of Explanation to be added with every document they have asked for? Stating the enclosed document and purpose of the document?
5: Also no NOC code is being mentioned in any letter as the company does not provide the format, I use the same NOC code which is same as when I applied for a work permit.

Appreciate you help in advance?