+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Difference between 3 year and 2 year PGWP

calla

Apr 6, 2018
Hello,

I have a friend who is coming here and will complete her course in 20 months which means she is eligible for a 20 month post graduate work permit. My question is that a lot of friends are suggesting that she get a 3 year work permit atleast. Why are people suggesting that? I mean, she could just apply for PR after a year right? Am I missing something here?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
The important thing is not how long takes to complete a course but how a course is presented by the college. So if the course is stated by the college as a 2 year course that has been completed then that could qualify for a 3 year PGWP. If the college states the course was specifically a 20 month course then only a 20 month PGWP.

The rule is 8-23 months then only a PGWP same as course length. If course 24 months or more then a 3 year PGWP.

Applying for PR is not as simple as completing a year of PGWP so suggest some more research on the CIC site for that.

calla

Apr 6, 2018
The important thing is not how long takes to complete a course but how a course is presented by the college. So if the course is stated by the college as a 2 year course that has been completed then that could qualify for a 3 year PGWP. If the college states the course was specifically a 20 month course then only a 20 month PGWP.

The rule is 8-23 months then only a PGWP same as course length. If course 24 months or more then a 3 year PGWP.

Applying for PR is not as simple as completing a year of PGWP so suggest some more research on the CIC site for that.
But if they find a job and work for a year, they can get into the express entry program right and work until they get a result on their PR. That’s what I thought? Do you think she’ll have issues getting PR through 20 month work permit versus a 3 year work permit?