+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Didn't mention my brother when applying for Study Permit, now for CSQ should I?

contextaa

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,

Happy new year. I am currently doing my master's in Montreal, When I was filling out the forms to get my study permit two years ago, I didn't mention my brother's name as a family member. Now that I am gonna apply for my CSQ, I don't know if that I should correct that mistake or stick with what I presented before. I just looked it up and it seems that it is very serious and can be treated as misrepresentation that can cause lose of PR or even Citizenship.

I was exempted from military service to take care of my sick father, I used that as my tie to my country because I didn't have anything else to present at the time... I have four sisters who are all married, I felt if I don't mention my brother, that can be a good tie for me, telling the officer that I'm the only boy in the family and kinda have to get back because of the situation of my father. I even described this only-boy-in-the-family thing in my letter of explanation as well.

My family members, even my brother are not gonna come to Canada any time soon, but I don't want to live with this thought that some day they're gonna find out and my status can be in jeopardy. Somebody told to mention him when applying for CSQ and explain that you were too busy with your exams, and preparing documents in hurry resulted in missing out this piece of information, but my letter of explanation will screw this solution up.

Could you give me you take on this please? what do you think I should do? I'm kinda scared and my gut feelings say that I should stick with what I said before.

Thank you so much.

Reactions: Tanish Narwal

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You certainly committed misrepresentation in your study permit application. The fact you used this lie to increase your ties to your home country isn't good.

You have no choice but to be honest in your CSQ application now and hope CIC doesn't hold this against you. Otherwise you will be committing further misrepresentation and your PR status / citizenship status will technically never be safe. You certainly cannot use the "I was busy with exams" excuse. How does this explain lying in your statement of purpose letter and describing yourself as the only boy in the family? This isn't a mistake you make because you are busy with exams. This is something you do on purpose to gain an advantage in being approved. You know this. I know this. CIC certainly knows this. All you can do is add your brother to your current application and hope for the best.

It's always bad to lie to immigration. As you are now experiencing yourself, sooner or later it usually catches up to you in some way and can potentially jeopardize your future.

contextaa

Star Member
Jan 2, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you for your quick reply. I understand the nature of what happened. For decreasing the odds of rejection of my CSQ application, can I say that my brother is missing and has been since he was a child and that's why I didn't think to mention him? By doing that, my letter of explanation would be justified.

Once again I understand what I did and keep doing it would be another mistake, but I have to find the way to at least make it a bit questionable.

Thanks again.

dexter1122

Feb 8, 2017
Hey buddy, what was the last status about your query? I have the same issue as I forgot to mention my sisters and now I don't know how to correct it.

May 11, 2017
Hi guys I also have the same issue that I forgot to put my only brothers details in my study permit application becaue there was no option for brother and sister in the form IMM5707e but form says to include additional page if does not accomodate which I have mistakenly avoided. Now I do not know how to correct it. I just applied on 7th of june 2017. If anyone help me advising on this would be appreciated

Sep 11, 2017
India
Category........
FSW
I didnot mention that my brother is in canada at visitor visa but i put his name in application file . Is this going to be serious or not?? I applied my visa application last weakp

Tar786

Nov 17, 2017
I missed to mention my brothers in the TRV form and TRV was approved and we visited Canada as well.

Now we were planning to apply PR and received ITA. While filling all the forms we thought of matching all the dates with TRV and found that we missed to add my brothers details in the form. How to correct it?

Note: I applied for TRV along with my Husband, Son, Mother in law and Father in law. All other details are correct. Pl help what should we do

Sorobu

Dec 4, 2015
Hello,

Did anybody come to any conclusions about this? I didn't put my half brother and half sisters on my application for my IEC as I didn't realize these were 'immediate' family. I only realized upon applying for permanent residnecy due to the drop down boxes indicating 'half brother' and half sister that they needed to be included.

I included them on my PR applocation and I am now very panicked about the fact that this could be serious from a silly mistake.

Anybody come to any resolution?

Thank you

lazaga_patriciamay

Sep 19, 2017
Hello,

Did anybody come to any conclusions about this? I didn't put my half brother and half sisters on my application for my IEC as I didn't realize these were 'immediate' family. I only realized upon applying for permanent residnecy due to the drop down boxes indicating 'half brother' and half sister that they needed to be included.

I included them on my PR applocation and I am now very panicked about the fact that this could be serious from a silly mistake.

Anybody come to any resolution?

Thank you
Hi..Just want to ask, what happened now to your application?

ceagull

Aug 27, 2015
I don't think you need to enter your brother's info for the study permit, since only the immediate family is needed (parents, wife/husband and dependants).

I didnt put the info about my siblings and I've got 2 study permits approved so far

tatiana1994

Star Member
Jan 18, 2018
Hi guys I also have the same issue that I forgot to put my only brothers details in my study permit application becaue there was no option for brother and sister in the form IMM5707e but form says to include additional page if does not accomodate which I have mistakenly avoided. Now I do not know how to correct it. I just applied on 7th of june 2017. If anyone help me advising on this would be appreciated
I think that you can say the truth . In your situation it happens every time when you have to add another sheet. This thing doesn't exactly happen to me . But I remember that when I was filling the Annex A antecedent I forgot some dates . Hopefully the officer observed that and sent me back the file asking to fill again , properly this time. They didn't hold that against me and they understood that I forgot . This specific thing happened to all my friend
. And All of them have to fill again the antecedent A . If you forgot your brother in your study permit , I don't think it is hurtful as long as you explained properly ( your half brother you don't see and you've never lived with... you didn't see that you can add other paper to complete and you didn't take a lawyer to help you with the red tape ) .. But is important that you mention it on your permanent residency .

Nikita14

Mar 8, 2018
Hi All,

I came here few years ago and applied for student visa . I have two siblings- one sister and one brother and at the time of visa my parents went through a consultant and she added my sister's information but didnt add my brother's information in the student visa application, and I didnt find this out until I was applying for the PR two years back and I told my parents, they are not aware of such things and immigration so they asked me not to put my brother's information otherwise they might cancel my visa or something and we didnt have enough money to go through lawyers and all for such information that time, so I have submitted my PR with that information and got my PR.
Right now on my PR my only sibling is my sister, now I want to apply for citizenship this year and I dont want the same thing and not put my brother's information in the details while applying for citizenship. I want to put both my siblings in the family details, how can I do it without hampering anything for me here and for them in future ?

Please help me.

Saran12

Star Member
Mar 3, 2018
Hi All,

I came here few years ago and applied for student visa . I have two siblings- one sister and one brother and at the time of visa my parents went through a consultant and she added my sister's information but didnt add my brother's information in the student visa application, and I didnt find this out until I was applying for the PR two years back and I told my parents, they are not aware of such things and immigration so they asked me not to put my brother's information otherwise they might cancel my visa or something and we didnt have enough money to go through lawyers and all for such information that time, so I have submitted my PR with that information and got my PR.
Right now on my PR my only sibling is my sister, now I want to apply for citizenship this year and I dont want the same thing and not put my brother's information in the details while applying for citizenship. I want to put both my siblings in the family details, how can I do it without hampering anything for me here and for them in future ?

Please help me.
Hi,
I am in same situation. Did you found out a way for this?

90'skid

Star Member
Nov 5, 2018
Hi did you eventually mention your brothers in your pr application ? if yes was it an issue