+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did we do the right thing in the application?

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
We sent application in 2014 and has received DM, currently waiting for landing interview. However we used a law firm that we feel that we cannot trust anymore for various reasons, so I just wanna double check a couple of things in the application to make sure there will be no problems down the road.

1. On the form additional family information (IMM 5406) there are three different sections, A, B and C. There is no instruction on who to add under section A. However under section B it says to add children and under section C to add brothers and sisters.

My lawyer told me that we were supposed to put me (applicant), my wife (sponsor) and my mother and my father on section A. Section B and C are pretty given what to put (children and siblings). My question is, was this the right thing, or should my grandparents have been added to section A as well? (even though it doesn't say no such thing). Just wanna make sure that we were not supposed to add them and that we could now get in trouble for misrepresentation. I remember my advisor specifically saying there was no need to add grand parents.

I should mention that in the "list of my close friends and family who know about our relationship"-sheet I added my grandmother and they didn't seem to care (since we are currently awaiting landing).

2. My wife (sponsor) has since changed work place, almost a year ago. We didn't think about updating CIC at all since at the time we didn't even have AOR or anything. I would assume that her change of work place is not something that we have to notify them of, especially now when she's been accepted as a sponsor? (she hadn't gotten accepted as a sponsor yet when she changed work place).

I'm a pretty anxious person, so I worry about way too many things and this whole process has been h*ll. I guess these things aren't something I should worry about, but I do. In hindsight I worry that a minor thing such as not updating CIC of my wife's new job could ruin our application...even if I know this is extremely unlikely to be the case. Just want some second opinions.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
1. Section A already has the relationship boxes filled in telling you who's info to put. It's pretty clear.

2. You are not required to update CIC about the job change.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
1. Section A already has the relationship boxes filled in telling you who's info to put. It's pretty clear.

2. You are not required to update CIC about the job change.
How do you mean it already has them filled in? On mine there is applicant, sponsor, mother and father. Are you saying that was already filled in? Should I have put grand parents? They are no where in my application. Because section A doesn't specify anything on mine. However sections B and C specifies to put children and siblings.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
SamHom said:
How do you mean it already has them filled in? On mine there is applicant, sponsor, mother and father. Are you saying that was already filled in? Should I have put grand parents? They are no where in my application. Because section A doesn't specify anything on mine. However sections B and C specifies to put children and siblings.
Ya it's very self explanatory.
A is for applicant, spouse, mom and dad. And that's it. Why put more in there than CIC is asking for?
B is for children only.
C is for siblings only.

You don't need to include grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. If they don't ask for it, don't include it.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SamHom said:
As you've said yourself, section A specifies applicant, sponsor, mother, father. I don't know how much clearer it could be...

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Rob_TO said:
A is for applicant, spouse, mom and dad. And that's it. Why put more in there than CIC is asking for?
B is for children only.
C is for siblings only.

You don't need to include grandparents, great-grandparents, aunts, uncles, etc. If they don't ask for it, don't include it.
canuck_in_uk said:
As you've said yourself, section A specifies applicant, sponsor, mother, father. I don't know how much clearer it could be...
Thanks guys. I did not realize that applicant, spouse, mother and father was printed on the form already. I thought it was something that our representative had added. If I knew it was printed already I would have never asked the question. My bad.

A little bit surprised that we don't technically have to update CIC of my sponsors new job. That's good though.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
Rob_TO said:
B is for children only.
C is for siblings only.

canuck_in_uk said:
I actually have another question too. Also something I just want to confirm.
When we sent the application I was living here in Canada with my wife on visitor visa. My home country keeps tracks of which citizens still lives in the country and which have left. I have now updated my country that I live in Canada. However I am not sure exactly when this happened. I might have updated them before we sent in the application, or after. In the application it of course says that I am living in Canada with my wife which is the truth...however in my countries system it probably says that I technically moved to Canada several months prior to when I actually entered Canada and decided to stay and apply inland. Again, just want to confirm. But I'm pretty sure this won't be a problem now or down the road?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SamHom said:
Do I have to update that my mother and brother now lives at a different address in my home country then when the application was sent?
No.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SamHom said:
Thanks!

Can I ask, how would one know what to update and what to not update? Like, where have you gained this knowledge for example?
They only care about the big stuff that actually affects the app.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-after.asp

When should I contact CIC?

You must tell CIC if there are any changes to your case, such as:

you have adopted a child,
you get married or divorced,
your contact information (email, mailing address, phone number) changes,
you appoint or change a representative or designated person, or,
you decide to withdraw your application.

SamHom

Oct 5, 2015
canuck_in_uk said:
They only care about the big stuff that actually affects the app.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-after.asp

When should I contact CIC?

You must tell CIC if there are any changes to your case, such as:

you have adopted a child,
you get married or divorced,
your contact information (email, mailing address, phone number) changes,
you appoint or change a representative or designated person, or,
you decide to withdraw your application.
I am sure that you are correct in what you are saying since you have a lot of experience from here and have helped a lot of people including me. However it is weird to me that CIC is so clear on their website when you need to contact them, but in the emails they're sending they are leaving it a lot more open.
The following is the wording from the DM letter. I believe the wording in the SA letter was the same too.

"You must also notify CIC of any changes to your application. Examples of changes include:" and then they go on to mention examples such as change of status, changes in personal circumstances including birth, adoption, death of family member, change in contact information, etc.

On the link you sent from CIC website, it does not mention death of family member at all, but in the letter, it mentions that along with the various examples.

Isn't that really strange? How does one know what to follow? Causing confusion.

What is yours (and others) input on this?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
SamHom said:
Isn't that really strange? How does one know what to follow? Causing confusion.

What is yours (and others) input on this?
Keep in mind that, like the application forms, the emails are generic. There is no exact list of what people must tell CIC, as some things that can affect one person's app won't affect another person's app.

Your family changing their address or your wife changing jobs would have no effect on your app, so there is no need to tell CIC. If it was you who changed address or if your wife had to go on welfare because she lost her job, that would affect the app, so you would need to tell CIC.