+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not put N/A to not applicable questions

howtoland

Dec 19, 2011
Hi All,

I submitted my application today, however I just realized that I left the child education section blank instead of putting N/A (have no children), and question 11 blank (since I did the app myself).

Would it be returned back for that?

Thanks

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
They said you are supposed to put N/A for every column including the LINC question. The reason is to make sure that you read every question.. But I don't think they will return for that reason.. Stay positive..

Reactions: rdutter

howtoland

Dec 19, 2011
Thank you sinpguy.

I wonder if anyone submitted with blank fields instead of N/A like me and did or did not get it returned?

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My wife and son applied yesterday and I was bit confused about section 11. LINC question. There is a YES and NO option. I called CIC agent and he advised to mark NO if applicant has not attended LINC classes and providing other language proof.

CIC website says, leaving a section unanswered (including N/A) may result application return..So, if you are lucky officer may skip this or may return..Wait 2 weeks and see what happens..

sinpguy

Jul 3, 2011
Saskatoon
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-01-2011
Nomination.....
15-12-2010
AOR Received.
25-07-2011 (by email)
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
02-08-2011
Med's Done....
16-08-2011
Passport Req..
01-12-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-01-2012
LANDED..........
20-01-2012
They say different things to each of them.. I called CIC and lady told me for linc question I should leave it since I am sending my diploma and after I print form, write "N/A" by pen.. Then I asked her if its ok write anything in the form and she replied ...only we can write N/A and thats it...

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sinpguy said:
They say different things to each of them.. I called CIC and lady told me for linc question I should leave it since I am sending my diploma and after I print form, write "N/A" by pen.. Then I asked her if its ok write anything in the form and she replied ...only we can write N/A and thats it...
Yes there is 2 option for LINC. YES or NO. Yes means: giving consent to CIC collect result. No means: Not providing consent. Then bottom line says: I you don't provide consent will have to provide alternate language proof. I don't think there is any option to writ N/A.. Have to mark either YES or NO..

However, I think clicking nothing they may not return the application while other proof of language attached with application.

vinch286

Nov 2, 2014
CIC website says
What if some of the questions on the application form do not apply to me?

You should fill in all spaces on immigration application forms. If a question does not apply, write “not applicable” or “N/A” in the space. That shows you have read and filled out the form fully.

If you are applying online and the form does not allow you to input “N/A,” leave the space blank.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=017&t=4

But I also have a problem regarding this. In my Family information form I failed to put n/a on the blank section, however i signed every section certifying i dont have children or spouse. I hope visa officer has common sense to think that I've fully understand the questions even though I forgot to put N/A

mimi23

Star Member
Aug 3, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
howtoland said:
Thank you sinpguy.

I wonder if anyone submitted with blank fields instead of N/A like me and did or did not get it returned?
two or three question left them blank n never got returned so pray My agent to urs too, hope for The best dear

jrjayl

Oct 6, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
howtoland said:
Hi All,

I submitted my application today, however I just realized that I left the child education section blank instead of putting N/A (have no children), and question 11 blank (since I did the app myself).

Would it be returned back for that?

Thanks
Left the children education section blank too. Didn't get returned. The section specifically said "fill in if applicable".
you do not have to fill EVERY SINGLE place where you have a blank as N/A, only the ones that do not apply to you but are REQUIRED to fill in.

My two cents.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP, i have completed everything and ready to submit tomrorow and put everything in the envolope... my question is, little questions like fax number, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, address where my wife lives do not use postal codes, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, the part that fills up grey on its own, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, if your answer is yes, and the NO section asks for explanation, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, IMM 5490 - after question 19, it says GO TO QUESTION 24, bc the next 4 questions are for common law and we are spouses, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank?

things like that, PLEASE BE SPECIFIC.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jtannous said:
PLEASE I NEED YOUR HELP, i have completed everything and ready to submit tomrorow and put everything in the envolope... my question is, little questions like fax number, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, address where my wife lives do not use postal codes, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, the part that fills up grey on its own, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, if your answer is yes, and the NO section asks for explanation, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank if i dont have one?

OR, IMM 5490 - after question 19, it says GO TO QUESTION 24, bc the next 4 questions are for common law and we are spouses, do i have to put N/A or can i leave it blank?

things like that, PLEASE BE SPECIFIC.
The specific items you mentioned likely don't need an "N/A." However, keep in mind that your application will never be returned for having too many NAs, but could be returned for not having enough. So, my recommendation would be to write N/A in every place that you don't enter information OR answer yes or no...in other words, all lines that would otherwise be blank.

jtannous

Dec 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Beirut
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
Mar 3, 2016
File Transfer...
Apr 1, 2016
Med's Request
Done ahead of time
Med's Done....
Done ahead of time
Interview........
Oct 3, 2016
LANDED..........
Oct 17, 2016
alphazip said:
The specific items you mentioned likely don't need an "N/A." However, keep in mind that your application will never be returned for having too many NAs, but could be returned for not having enough. So, my recommendation would be to write N/A in every place that you don't enter information OR answer yes or no...in other words, all lines that would otherwise be blank.
can you please please please answer my following questions:

QUESTIONS 1.

do i have to write anything on the outside of the envelope?
QUESTION 2....

when completing the checklists for PR, should i include EVERY form on the checklist and write N/A on the form that is not applicable like for example "use of a representative"?

also, if i add those forms, do i still put an X in the box on the checklist because im including it?

what im doing is adding all the forms, even the ones i mark N/A, and checking the boxes indicating those are included.
QUESTION 3...

can i add stuff in writing after printing, except on the forms that need validation of course

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jtannous said:
can you please please please answer my following questions:

QUESTIONS 1.

do i have to write anything on the outside of the envelope?
QUESTION 2....

when completing the checklists for PR, should i include EVERY form on the checklist and write N/A on the form that is not applicable like for example "use of a representative"?

also, if i add those forms, do i still put an X in the box on the checklist because im including it?

what im doing is adding all the forms, even the ones i mark N/A, and checking the boxes indicating those are included.
QUESTION 3...

can i add stuff in writing after printing, except on the forms that need validation of course
1. Just the CIC address and your return address.
2. Just mark N/A on the checklist...no need to include forms that do not apply
3. Yes, you can write N/A etc. on the application.

kaylatom

Mar 7, 2017
Hi

I sent my application off today for common law sponsorship inland but just realized under the additional family information form and under the document checklist i did not write not applicable where i left it blank (it didnt apply to me). I am worried they will send my application back so i was going to send a letter explaining what i have done with the two updated forms tomorrow to the case centre where i sent the application and hope they pick it up and just switch the forms. I am hoping if this is not the case they will just continue with the application and take blanks as n/a answers.

Does anybody else have views or suggestions on this or even know of the same scenario?

Thanks in advance!