+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not list step sister on PR application

mandiebraxton

VIP Member
Mar 7, 2011
I got my PR in 2013 and currently a citizen. During my PR application I omitted to mention my step sister (different father) as it was a strained relationship I had no details of her whereabouts.
During a family function back home last year we reconnected and I found out she has a son (27) currently doing his masters. The son has expressed interest in visiting Canada this summer break and I want to invite him.

Now my problem is I don’t know how to describe my relationship with my nephew as I did not list his mom on my PR application. I’m thinking using my birth certificate and my step sister’s birth which will show we have the same mother. I’m worried as records will shoot she was never listed as a sibling in the first place.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
*Mandie*

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
This is a non-issue, IMO.

Just explain the relationship truthfully, that it was an estranged relationship until recently (no need to explain the PR omission) and it should be ok to invite your nephew.

You are only asked to list family members during your PR app for background checks. It's not like you could sponsor your step-sister as Canadian PR anyway.

Reactions: Tophele

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I got my PR in 2013 and currently a citizen. During my PR application I omitted to mention my step sister (different father) as it was a strained relationship I had no details of her whereabouts.
During a family function back home last year we reconnected and I found out she has a son (27) currently doing his masters. The son has expressed interest in visiting Canada this summer break and I want to invite him.

Now my problem is I don’t know how to describe my relationship with my nephew as I did not list his mom on my PR application. I’m thinking using my birth certificate and my step sister’s birth which will show we have the same mother. I’m worried as records will shoot she was never listed as a sibling in the first place.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
*Mandie*
Note that as you have the same mother, she is your half sister, not your step sister.

Reactions: Tophele

joecarl

Dec 12, 2019
Hello Everyone, I am in a similar situation. When applying for my PR i made a huge mistake and listed all my HALF-SIBLINGS as STEP-SIBLINGS. This is a very common mistake where I come from. My worry is my PR was approved and I am already in Canada. My half-siblings would like to visit me. What should I do? Do I contact IRCC to correct the mistake, or let my siblings apply for visit and submit the appropriate proofs. Thanks

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello Everyone, I am in a similar situation. When applying for my PR i made a huge mistake and listed all my HALF-SIBLINGS as STEP-SIBLINGS. This is a very common mistake where I come from. My worry is my PR was approved and I am already in Canada. My half-siblings would like to visit me. What should I do? Do I contact IRCC to correct the mistake, or let my siblings apply for visit and submit the appropriate proofs. Thanks
Not an issue. You can't correct mistakes in closed apps.

rg2020

Oct 12, 2020
Can anybody let me know that i did not include my half sibling before when I came to canada for the first time is there something I can do now or in future when I will submit my PR application

Jeremyjoe

Dec 31, 2020
I am just wondering if anyone can answer my query! I got an ITA in the last draw but yet to apply as my case is a bit unique.

1. I have some step-siblings (at least I was told) but I have no information (like DOB, place of birth, etc) of them. While filling the form online, I could not enter their details because of the like of information. Now, can LOE work in this case to mention their names and say I have never met or seen these people?

One of my step is in Canada has applied for study visa has mention my name as a family member along with other steps (he said) but in a paper application. In that paper application, he was able to estimate Just the age for the once he wasn't sure. So I am worried that if I Just ignore, it might be an issue for me

soniadevi123

Star Member
Mar 7, 2020
Can anybody let me know that i did not include my half sibling before when I came to canada for the first time is there something I can do now or in future when I will submit my PR application
Did you apply with all the siblings information?