+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not declare wife and not sure if landed

mranswers

Oct 25, 2020
So quick summary of events. I am in Canada and have been here on a study permit for the past 6 years. I applied in Apr ‘20, received biometrics collection letter in Jul ‘20 (have not given biometrics), got married in Aug ‘20, and received confirmation of permanent residence in October 2020 without ever having an interview or giving my biometrics.

The problem arises in the fact that I was supposed to call IRCC in August when I got married and tell them my status has changed.

Fast forward to today, I received the CoPR as of Monday and realized this entire mess up by Wednesday. Nobody did a phone interview with me to land me, but I am not sure if they have automatically landed me.

I called the IRCC who told me I need to word it very carefully and explain in a web form to an officer what happened and it was an honest mistake.

Wording of this letter is important so in order to do it correctly, I got in touch with a lawyer who is drafting something up as we speak. There is withholding of information so I figured better to be safe than sorry. My lawyer thinks that the IRCC is not going to respond to our letter and give me my PR regardless. No official pardon or opening of the application again to add my wife, basically they won’t know how to handle it (they landed me in covid times and there was meant to be an interview but wasn’t) and so they won’t handle it.

I am reaching out to this forum to see if anyone has been in a similar position and what they did? What happened in the future with your wife’s application? Is there anything I can do differently or inform my lawyer of that might help my case?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
So quick summary of events. I am in Canada and have been here on a study permit for the past 6 years. I applied in Apr ‘20, received biometrics collection letter in Jul ‘20 (have not given biometrics), got married in Aug ‘20, and received confirmation of permanent residence in October 2020 without ever having an interview or giving my biometrics.

The problem arises in the fact that I was supposed to call IRCC in August when I got married and tell them my status has changed.

Fast forward to today, I received the CoPR as of Monday and realized this entire mess up by Wednesday. Nobody did a phone interview with me to land me, but I am not sure if they have automatically landed me.

I called the IRCC who told me I need to word it very carefully and explain in a web form to an officer what happened and it was an honest mistake.

Wording of this letter is important so in order to do it correctly, I got in touch with a lawyer who is drafting something up as we speak. There is withholding of information so I figured better to be safe than sorry. My lawyer thinks that the IRCC is not going to respond to our letter and give me my PR regardless. No official pardon or opening of the application again to add my wife, basically they won’t know how to handle it (they landed me in covid times and there was meant to be an interview but wasn’t) and so they won’t handle it.

I am reaching out to this forum to see if anyone has been in a similar position and what they did? What happened in the future with your wife’s application? Is there anything I can do differently or inform my lawyer of that might help my case?
Just to be clear, did you in fact notify IRCC in August to let them know that you got married? If you did, how did you notify them and did you submit all of the forms to add your spouse to your application? If you did not notify IRCC, what was the reason why you didn't let them know about this change in your personal circumstances? Also, is your spouse a Canadian citizen or PR, or are they not?

Generally if you are an inland applicant, landing is happening automatically with the issuance of the COPR.

mranswers

Oct 25, 2020
I did not notify them of my marriage. The reason I didn’t is because I forgot and something in me thought that no PR would be issued without biometrics. They sent me a letter in July asking for biometrics so I assumed that I still needed to give those

what’s the best thing I can do now since all of this has happened? It was an honest misrepresentation

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I did not notify them of my marriage. The reason I didn’t is because I forgot and something in me thought that no PR would be issued without biometrics. They sent me a letter in July asking for biometrics so I assumed that I still needed to give those

what’s the best thing I can do now since all of this has happened? It was an honest misrepresentation
I would send a case specific inquiry via webform asap to let IRCC know you got married in August. I'm not sure why you waited. Should should have let IRCC know immediately.

I'm not aware of anyone else on this forum who has been in this exact situation. However possible there may be.

mranswers

Oct 25, 2020
@scylla I called IRCC in the morning to ask if I am landed and they confirmed that I indeed am. I think it is better to write a letter to IRCC through my lawyer instead of sending a web form. A web form leaves me in a tricky situation because I am unsure whether it will ever reach an officer who can make a decision.

My lawyer advised us that by showing them that I came forward with the information so quickly after I received my CoPR, and that I will be strengthening the language used in explaining my case(by using a lawyer), I am maximizing my chances at a favourable outcome. I know I did not have to use a lawyer, but relative to the amount of money I have used in paying international tuition, a lawyer's fees does not seem like a lot of money

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@scylla I called IRCC in the morning to ask if I am landed and they confirmed that I indeed am. I think it is better to write a letter to IRCC through my lawyer instead of sending a web form. A web form leaves me in a tricky situation because I am unsure whether it will ever reach an officer who can make a decision.

My lawyer advised us that by showing them that I came forward with the information so quickly after I received my CoPR, and that I will be strengthening the language used in explaining my case(by using a lawyer), I am maximizing my chances at a favourable outcome. I know I did not have to use a lawyer, but relative to the amount of money I have used in paying international tuition, a lawyer's fees does not seem like a lot of money
Ultimately your call.

JyoVishal

Jan 25, 2022

Hello,
What happened finally? I am in a similar situation. I didn’t declare my marriage while landing. Please help.