+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did not confirm my permanent residency yet I am permanent resident???

pav3232

Sep 29, 2021
Hi.

I became permanent resident of Canada about 5 months ago.

I received an email containing my COPR and it read
"Good day, we are pleased to inform you that you are now permanent resident(s) of Canada. Attached, you will find a letter/letters confirming permanent residence status for you /and your family. We kindly ask that you read the letter carefully and follow the instructions concerning obtaining your permanent residence card(s) as well as applying for other government services. Congratulations and we wish you every success in your future in Canada! Please note that if you have a MY-CIC online account you may receive this letter twice."

I called IRCC office (back then) just to double check my status and landing procedure and officer confirmed that there was no need for me to do anything as I am an inland applicant and I became a permanent resident by virtual landing. She told me to print out the email and attached document to prove my status in Canada so I did exactly that. I used it to change my SIN, applied for health card of my province. I even signed up for part time classes and am paying domestic fee with partial grant from my province.

Here is where problem begin :

Today I had a chance to chat with someone from my class and I learned she also became permanent resident recently. BUT she said she had to go through a website (https://prson-srpel.apps.cic.gc.ca/) to finish landing procedure and apply for the PR card. She even showed me she already got one when I am still waiting for my card for 5 months already.

Now I am panicking if I did anything wrong. IRCC office no longer seem to respond via webform or phone call and I have no one to talk to.
I am confident I did not receive any letter or email from IRCC beside my COPR email and every government entity I encountered so far did not mind me using that document.

Can someone please help me understand what could be possibly going on?

MooseTapeSeason

Star Member
May 19, 2021
It looks like you got PR before they activated new pr confirmation portal, that means you need to send your photos to Etobicoke office by mail to get pr card.

pav3232

Sep 29, 2021
It looks like you got PR before they activated new pr confirmation portal, that means you need to send your photos to Etobicoke office by mail to get pr card.
Well that is a relief. Thanks for letting me know Moose.

This is separate question but..
does IRCC inform me if my PR card application is defective? Like, if they do not approve of the pictures I sent them will they let me know or will they silently discard it? I was thinking maybe it's better for me to send them new PR card application just to be safe.