+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did my landing but went out of Canada

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
Dear All,

I am new immigrant to Canada, I did my landing one year back, stayed for one month at that time I opened a bank account where I deposited some amount, and issued a G1 Driving license but DID NOT issue my health insurance card then went back to my home country. I am planning to move for good by coming August.

My question, do I need to pay any kind of income tax?, since I got many contradicting inputs.

Regards,

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Even if I opened a saving bank account and deposited some amount in it?
Generally to be considered tax resident you need to have spent 183 days in the country not just a month and not just because you opened a bank account as per the CRA link that is only one consideration as well as residential ties such as property.

rmwahab

Star Member
Sep 21, 2011
Generally to be considered tax resident you need to have spent 183 days in the country not just a month and not just because you opened a bank account as per the CRA link that is only one consideration as well as residential ties such as property.
No stayed only in a hotel for one month and do not have any properties in Canada, only bank account and G1 driving license and that's it. I deposited some amount as part of moving all my money to move for good.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Generally, if you are considered as non resident or deemed non resident for tax purposes, you pay tax on your Canadian source income only (in this case the bank interest in your savings).

Best to sort out with an accountant.

mad_hatter

Jul 16, 2016
No stayed only in a hotel for one month and do not have any properties in Canada, only bank account and G1 driving license and that's it. I deposited some amount as part of moving all my money to move for good.
As a non-resident, interest you earned on your bank deposit is subjected to 25% withholding tax. The question is, did you inform your bank that you are a non-resident so that the bank can remit tax to CRA on your behalf?