+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did I read that correctly? 55 days from the US?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I really hope so. I'm tired of filing for Canadian visas and going through this ordeal so many times. Takes forever to scan all that crap (I swear to God my mum did not change since the last gazillion applications)

Last time they gave me just a few months. The particular expiry date matches other stuff in my docs (not passport) and heavily suggests a terrible inefficiency in their system (cant share details yet, unfortunately).

They clearly didnt spend any money on the contracted engineers who built it.
Something you might want to think about.

As you were issued a short validity TRV, the visa officer likely believed:
1. You don't have reasons to visit Canada multiple-times until your passport expiry, or

2. You were allowed to visit for just the specific, one-time purpose that you had stated in your application, or

3. You did not demonstrate that your ties to the US are far more stronger than those to Canada

If you believe you haven't submitted adequate documents/evidence for #3 then you can email/send a web form asap

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Something you might want to think about.

As you were issued a short validity TRV, the visa officer likely believed:
1. You don't have reasons to visit Canada multiple-times until your passport expiry, or

2. You were allowed to visit for just the specific, one-time purpose that you had stated in your application, or

3. You did not demonstrate that your ties to the US are far more stronger than those to Canada

If you believe you haven't submitted adequate documents/evidence for #3 then you can email/send a web form asap
For #3, I showed a job, a property ownership and worker status until over a year from now. I do not know what could possibly be a stronger tie, short of a green card which doesnt need a Visa to begin with.

This time the only difference is my wife lives with me in the us (I sent a copy of her ID showing the same address).

Nothing was on the notes (even though we wrote that we want to know why it had a short validity).

Might be expect that I obtain a green card soonish...although I never told them I'm applying and the particular date of expiry is just so suspicious and not random that I highly doubt it's just their system unable to handle multiple visas, unlike the US where they cancel the previous Visa and give you a new one.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
For #3, I showed a job, a property ownership and worker status until over a year from now. I do not know what could possibly be a stronger tie, short of a green card which doesnt need a Visa to begin with.
Leave approval letter?
Financial investments?
You live with other family members who are dependent on you?
Your job pays too well. So moving to Canada is not a possibility?
Mortgage?

This time the only difference is my wife lives with me in the us (I sent a copy of her ID showing the same address).
Is your wife employed or studying?

Might be expect that I obtain a green card soonish...although I never told them I'm applying and the particular date of expiry is just so suspicious and not random that I highly doubt it's just their system unable to handle multiple visas, unlike the US where they cancel the previous Visa and give you a new one.
It would be easier and faster to get a Canadian PR through your wife (I think) than a US green card. So, probably won't help as a strong tie

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
I only go on occasional weekends so I never need leaves. My wife is employed here.

If I wanted to move I could've already done it numerous times when I was poor and inside Canada.

Also if I want to move as you said we can just do outland afaik. The real reason we dont is simply that there's no point in going through the PR process and lose it coz we are not gonna live in Canada.

We do have a mortgage here and I had sent it last time btw.

I didn't bother sending it this time tbh as we are in the process of making it a community property so the docs are changing. We do not have dependents, it's only us at our home.

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
For the gc part, I meant it might be that they didnt want to give a long validity expecting that om getting my gc soon. Although that's too complicated and the mlm ore likely reason is stupidity.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I only go on occasional weekends so I never need leaves. My wife is employed here.

If I wanted to move I could've already done it numerous times when I was poor and inside Canada.

Also if I want to move as you said we can just do outland afaik. The real reason we dont is simply that there's no point in going through the PR process and lose it coz we are not gonna live in Canada.

We do have a mortgage here and I had sent it last time btw.

I didn't bother sending it this time tbh as we are in the process of making it a community property so the docs are changing. We do not have dependents, it's only us at our home.
Maybe if you prove you have long-term ties to the US.... but want to visit Canada for weekends/short visits to see your wife's family.... hopefully, you might get a longer validity TRV this time

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Maybe if you prove you have long-term ties to the US.... but want to visit Canada for weekends/short visits to see your wife's family.... hopefully, you might get a longer validity TRV this time
I do have financial investments in the us but I had these even when I was in Canada, not sure they count as a tie.

In fact that was the behavior for years now. I never showed leave before.

I might send them the mortgage if that helps although it feels ridiculous because I sent it just a few months ago and also it's not a real tie. Ppl can just rent it out.

The real reason I moved away was a high paying job and to me that sounds like the strongest tie. That and hostages (by requiring you leave dependents behind) Houses can be sold or rented out.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
I do have financial investments in the us but I had these even when I was in Canada, not sure they count as a tie.

In fact that was the behavior for years now. I never showed leave before.

I might send them the mortgage if that helps although it feels ridiculous because I sent it just a few months ago and also it's not a real tie. Ppl can just rent it out.

The real reason I moved away was a high paying job and to me that sounds like the strongest tie. That and hostages (by requiring you leave dependents behind) Houses can be sold or rented out.
Just trying to figure out what documents would help to get you a long-validity TRV. But, don't ask IRCC to give you one.

I think you must include:
1. Your mortgage. Future situations about the property are not relevant at the moment. And, mortgage makes it a reason to return. Let's not overthink about staying back in Canada while the property is rented out :)

2. Your wife's employment ties which imply that she isn't moving back to Canada yet. A leave approval letter from her employer + work commitments to return to, etc.

3. Your US green card petition.

4. Your financial investments

5. Any work or personal commitments scheduled after your intended visit

6. Any other documents that indicate your ties/reasons to stay in the US outweigh those to Canada

You can combine these (and any other documents you think might work) as a single PDF file and send it to your local visa office (web form + email) and request for them to be considered.

If you feel this little task is futile then drop the idea :)

Last edited:

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hi Bryanna,

First, thank you a lot for your help.

So between laziness and a feeling of "screw them, I ain't doing more effort for them. I have 2 months anyway" and also waiting for other paperwork to finish, I was pleasantly surprised that they sent me the passport request letter...

I was resentful that can+ program applies to anyone with a us Visa or been to Canada in the last 10 years and wondering why I didnt qualify despite having both (duh 99% of those in the us who need a Visa have a us Visa -_-).

Looks like I did qualify after all (although I had to show lots of docs) but their system doesnt make a peep.

I really do not expect rejection at all so ill take that as an approval (I wonder why they just dont share the decision until you submit your passport)

Now the last 2 horrors: the 2 week long fear that they lose my passport and how long the Visa will be..I'm guessing itll be 8-12 months.

Thank you all. Def applying online is the best option. Eliminate all intermediate mailing.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Well that’s good. You should see the visa validity in your account once they stamp it, even before the passport gets back to you.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi Bryanna,

First, thank you a lot for your help.

So between laziness and a feeling of "screw them, I ain't doing more effort for them. I have 2 months anyway" and also waiting for other paperwork to finish, I was pleasantly surprised that they sent me the passport request letter...

I was resentful that can+ program applies to anyone with a us Visa or been to Canada in the last 10 years and wondering why I didnt qualify despite having both (duh 99% of those in the us who need a Visa have a us Visa -_-).

Looks like I did qualify after all (although I had to show lots of docs) but their system doesnt make a peep.

I really do not expect rejection at all so ill take that as an approval (I wonder why they just dont share the decision until you submit your passport)

Now the last 2 horrors: the 2 week long fear that they lose my passport and how long the Visa will be..I'm guessing itll be 8-12 months.

Thank you all. Def applying online is the best option. Eliminate all intermediate mailing.
A happy ending to your visa travails :)

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
A happy ending to your visa travails :)
Not yet. I gave them a document about a specific event I need to attend months from now and also said I need to visit my wife's family occasionally so it remains to be seen that they at least honor that event and not give me a 4 months visa.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Wait really? How?
You should get a notification after you send your passport that your application has been updated...then the document details (visa number, expiry date, etc) should show up.

Ehh, you should hope they felt guilty about your technical glitch they decide to give you the max anyway. :)

unlucky_chaser

Star Member
Sep 1, 2015
You should get a notification after you send your passport that your application has been updated...then the document details (visa number, expiry date, etc) should show up.

Ehh, you should hope they felt guilty about your technical glitch they decide to give you the max anyway. :)
Gotcha... I'll keep an eye!

Yeah I really hope so too. They really screwed up last time with the delays AND a short stay.