+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did any one who became Canadian Citizen in last two months travel to India recently using Indian Passport( no e-visa/OCI)?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Here is the reply I got from frro, but some parts are still not clear. I didn't specifically ask for Canadians.

Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,

Team Support

for FRRO, Delhi
@walter_white i got the same reply from FRRO Delhi. Thank you again. This helped us get some clarity. Also I did mention that i acquired Canadian citizenship recently in my email to FRRO.

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
@walter_white i got the same reply from FRRO Delhi. Thank you again. This helped us get some clarity. Also I did mention that i acquired Canadian citizenship recently in my email to FRRO.
That's great to hear to have some consistency. Did they clarify on the visa part? Do Canadians need visa after surrendering and before getting the exit permit?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
That's great to hear to have some consistency. Did they clarify on the visa part? Do Canadians need visa after surrendering and before getting the exit permit?
The reply I got is exactly same like yours. They have not mentioned anything specifically about getting a visa for the stay before applying for an exit permit. In my case I still have to apply for a visa since I’m planning a long stay.

Hem.georgian

May 2, 2018
The reply I got is exactly same like yours. They have not mentioned anything specifically about getting a visa for the stay before applying for an exit permit. In my case I still have to apply for a visa since I’m planning a long stay.
How long did the FRRO office to respond to your email? Please confirm

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
There are 2 cases here:
1. Travel to India with Indian and Canadian passports but without a visa / OCI. In this case one has to apply to FRRO for an exit visa from India
2. Travel to India with Indian passport only (and before you are able to get a Canadian passport). In this case, pray that your flight does not get cancelled. If that happens, you will have to exit the airport just like any other passenger. Not having a valid document to exit the airport can land one in huge trouble (detention etc).

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
There are 2 cases here:
1. Travel to India with Indian and Canadian passports but without a visa / OCI. In this case one has to apply to FRRO for an exit visa from India
2. Travel to India with Indian passport only (and before you are able to get a Canadian passport). In this case, pray that your flight does not get cancelled. If that happens, you will have to exit the airport just like any other passenger. Not having a valid document to exit the airport can land one in huge trouble (detention etc).
For pt 2 how will you come back to Canada?

tarsainX

Apr 20, 2023
For pt 2 how will you come back to Canada?
When one passes security, you are deemed to be 'out of canada'. Coming out of the airport is same as coming back into Canada. I have personally experienced this (but was lucky to not be detained).

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
When one passes security, you are deemed to be 'out of canada'. Coming out of the airport is same as coming back into Canada. I have personally experienced this (but was lucky to not be detained).
How will you exit India without a Canadian passport? There are immigration officers out there whom you have to show valid documentation while exiting.