+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Did any one who became Canadian Citizen in last two months travel to India recently using Indian Passport( no e-visa/OCI)?

Riya_3023

Oct 3, 2023
I am supposed to travel in couple of weeks. Just curious to see if anyone travelled to India with Indian and Canadian passports.

glenn9090

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Saudi Arabia
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13/06/2014
Doc's Request.
19/11/2014
Nomination.....
08/10/2014
IELTS Request
With Application
File Transfer...
14/11/2014
Med's Request
14/01/2015
Med's Done....
31/01/2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
05/03/2015
VISA ISSUED...
25/03/2015
LANDED..........
January 2016
are you not suppose to destroy the PR card when you take the oath ceremony online or in person?.

you can go on Indian passport but you cannot come back. I advise you to avoid the travel if it is unnecessary.

I was told that people are trying to apply for OCI and there is a long queue at BLS centers

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I am supposed to travel in couple of weeks. Just curious to see if anyone travelled to India with Indian and Canadian passports.
The exit permit process is not clear from India, learnt from those who are planning in this forum. Also you need to surrender your passport once in India.

Last edited:

walter_white

Aug 30, 2019
Here is the reply I got from frro, but some parts are still not clear. I didn't specifically ask for Canadians.

Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,

Team Support

for FRRO, Delhi

Last edited:

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Here i the reply I got from frro, but some parts are still not clear. I didn't specifically ask for Canadians.

Sir/Madam,

01. As per Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) guidelines a grace period of three months (90 days) is allowed from the date of acquisition of foreign citizenship, for the purpose of travel on Indian passport. For further clarification and fresh guidelines if any, in this regard you are advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

Regarding surrendering of passport, foreign national is advised to approach Indian Embassy abroad/concerned Regional Passport Office (RPO) in India.

02. Further, as far as departure from India is concerned, any Indian acquires nationality/passport of another country then he/she has to obtain "Exit Permit / Visa" from the FRRO/FRO through online application at https://indianfrro.gov.in. Further, if "Exit Permit" is issued, the foreign national must depart within the validity of the Exit Permit.

Note: Grant/denial of Exit Permit/ Visa related services is subject to submission of surrender certificate of Indian Passport, Indian voter identity card (if issued by the ECI), etc. as well as usual checks and verification.

03. A foreign national is not allowed to stay without a valid visa in the country and indulge in activity other than for which visa has been issued. Violators of visa rules will be prosecuted according to the Law of land. Hence, every foreign national is advised abide by the Law of the land and instructions / guidelines endorsed on the Indian Visa and adhere the same.

Regards,

Team Support

for FRRO, Delhi
Thank you for sharing the information. May I ask is this reply from FRRO was after September 21?

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
It is very confusing. I called BLS Toronto today morning. The agent asked of I had already taken oath and received my citizenship certificate, which I have. He said I cannot travel on Indian passport. On enquiring about the 90 days grace period for travel, he said that’s outdated and they are updating the information. According to him once you have taken oath n received your citizenship certificate you Indian status is invalid until you obtain visa/OCI.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
It is very confusing. I called BLS Toronto today morning. The agent asked of I had already taken oath and received my citizenship certificate, which I have. He said I cannot travel on Indian passport. On enquiring about the 90 days grace period for travel, he said that’s outdated and they are updating the information. According to him once you have taken oath n received your citizenship certificate you Indian status is invalid until you obtain visa/OCI.
Tough to trust BLS. They don't know there own process correctly.

nivaan5

Star Member
Oct 2, 2023
Another doubt. Has anyone found the “90 days grace period” info on the BLS or CGI Canada website? When I looked up I found the info on other BLS and EOI websites like Hong Kong, republic of Congo, Switzerland etc. May be it doesn’t matter. I don’t know. If I were to travel on Indian passport, I would be more at ease if it was on the Canadian BLS or CGI website..

vsol2021

Dec 15, 2021
I'm in the same situation and looking for an answer. Will I get arrested if I go to India on my Indian Passport after obtaining the Canadian Passport? I can surrender the Indian Passport in India and pay the penalty. Looking for clarity.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I'm in the same situation and looking for an answer. Will I get arrested if I go to India on my Indian Passport after obtaining the Canadian Passport? I can surrender the Indian Passport in India and pay the penalty. Looking for clarity.
Then don't get your Canadian passport.