+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Detroit-Windsor Landing Experience

dumdum_yo

Apr 29, 2019
I plan to do a soft landing via Detroit-Windsor as well.
Is it compulsory to have a Goods to follow form when you soft land?
I don't plan to move to Canada until late this year or early next year.
Goods to follow is not mandatory but not filling it and eventually moving will cost you import duties later. Better to fill it out now and get the peace of mind to have the ability to import your goods later duty free. It's not much hassle to fill it and pretty straightforward.

pr131985

Star Member
Feb 19, 2018
Detroit
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
13-06-2018
AOR Received.
09-10-2018
Passport Req..
31-01-2019
VISA ISSUED...
06-03-2019
LANDED..........
15-06-2019
Goods to follow is not mandatory but not filling it and eventually moving will cost you import duties later. Better to fill it out now and get the peace of mind to have the ability to import your goods later duty free. It's not much hassle to fill it and pretty straightforward.
But during soft landing I am not a settler = "moving permanently for 12 months or more".
I live in Detroit and will be just going for completing my PR requirements not for moving permanently.

The permanent move will happen later.

pseetha

Jan 1, 2018
Hi Pseetha,

Thanks for your response. I am planning to move Canada through Detroit-Windsor route and has following questions. Any help will be much appreciated.-
1. Which one is better route - Ambassador bridge or Windsor tunnel? Any pros-cons
Pseetha- I went in tunnel. It doesn't matter I think, others might know of pros and cons

2. I have expired visa on passport but have extension approved (I-797) till 2021. I saw in your post that you had similar situation. Were you able to get back to US without valid stamping on passport? If yes, Did immigration officers pose any questions?

Pseetha- yes. I was asked to go inside the immigration office since I didn't have a visa in passport. It was tense situation and they were bit abusive..be prepared..they would do entry date stamping in passport..I have heard some where not asked to undergo this..it's selective and luck I think

3. Do they issue PR cards if we are giving friend's address. If not, can we enter Canada later through car without having PR cards?

Pseetha- It's subjective, sometimes they do..sometimes they don't.it doesn't matter, you become PR on that day

4. We have two kids. If we take kids along with us in soft landing, will that be a problem? Do they have proper waiting ares where kids can sit and relax?

Pseetha-It's an awesome place. It's safe and good for kids. I have 2 too

5. I am still debating on Soft vs Hard landing and haven't decided yet. In case of hard landing, I will be having a UHaul truck along with my car. My wife is primary applicant and will be driving car. Will it be a problem during immigration as we will be in separate vehicles?
Pseetha- I did soft landing, it doesn't matter I think

Reactions: ankusaxe9

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
If you want to drive then yes that's the closest. You can always fly in to Canada and do your soft landing at the airport, Toronto for instance.
I prefer driving over flying, if possible. It looks like Windsor might be too far for me.

How do we know what all locations we can go through for soft landing? Can I go through any Canada Border Services Agency from any of the states at US border?

poojarmalhotra

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
28-12-2018
AOR Received.
20-11-2018
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
03-08-2019
Hello
I’ve received my Immigrant Visa and COPR last week and am planning on flying up to Detroit and then driving into Canada through Windsor. My brother will come to Detroit from Windsor and pick me up.
I’m an Indian resident currently, have a US visitor visa valid until 2021. I plan on settling in Canada, with the first 2-3 months in Windsor. I have family there.
Could I do that? Do I need transit visa if I have US visitor visa?

TIA.

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Hello
I’ve received my Immigrant Visa and COPR last week and am planning on flying up to Detroit and then driving into Canada through Windsor. My brother will come to Detroit from Windsor and pick me up.
I’m an Indian resident currently, have a US visitor visa valid until 2021. I plan on settling in Canada, with the first 2-3 months in Windsor. I have family there.
Could I do that? Do I need transit visa if I have US visitor visa?

TIA.
A bit late!! You don't need transit visa if you have visitor visa :)

Good luck for your future life in Canada :)

poojarmalhotra

Star Member
Aug 5, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
28-12-2018
AOR Received.
20-11-2018
Passport Req..
14-05-2019
LANDED..........
03-08-2019
A bit late!! You don't need transit visa if you have visitor visa :)

Good luck for your future life in Canada :)
Sith!!!! Lol. Thank you :)
Follow up question: since I don’t have a return ticket and no proof of actually leaving the US, except for my COPR document, do you think there’d be an issue at the immigration?

SithLord

VIP Member
Aug 18, 2017
Sith!!!! Lol. Thank you :)
Follow up question: since I don’t have a return ticket and no proof of actually leaving the US, except for my COPR document, do you think there’d be an issue at the immigration?
You have a US visitor visa and COPR so I don't think you will have any issues at immigration.

Canada2425

Jun 1, 2016
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
17-11-2016
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
17-11-2016
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
15-12-2016
Med's Request
NA
Med's Done....
18-11-2016
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-03-2017
VISA ISSUED...
17-03-2017
LANDED..........
18-06-2017
Hi guys, does this location allow you to import your car while landing? I wanted to email them to clarify what all documents are required to do the same, couldn't find their email address. Really appreciate the help here. Thanks.

Tech_girl123

Jan 20, 2018
App. Filed.......
30-DEC-2017
HI,

I am planning to do a soft landing via the Ambassador bridge as I was told if i have to take my car i will be allowed via ambassador bridge only.
For the household items we have hired UPACK ... can pls anyone suggest what forms do i need to get while entereing canada apart from POF proof ?

Capsho

Jul 9, 2019
Hello All,

Here are some of my questions -

- What is the difference between the windsor detroit tunnel and the ambassador bridge?
- I plan to go on saturday afternoon, hoping the immigration is open then.

Just so everyone knows I am driving from Chicago with my wife and 3 kids and moving permanently to Canada.

Mirapakay

Feb 18, 2019
Hello All,

Here are some of my questions -

- What is the difference between the windsor detroit tunnel and the ambassador bridge?
- I plan to go on saturday afternoon, hoping the immigration is open then.

Just so everyone knows I am driving from Chicago with my wife and 3 kids and moving permanently to Canada.
My understanding is, you enter from Detroit-Windsor Tunnel as you'll hit CBSA there and exit from Ambassador bridge which is where you'll hit CBP.