+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

determination of permanent residence status form

bcresident

Aug 3, 2009
My wife and I both had our permanent residence cards in June 29, 2004. We stayed 3,5 months and for some family reasons we returned to Turkey. We had our baby in Turkey in April 2007. We decided to come back to Canada for her future. I came first to apply for a sponsorship for my daughter. After 4 months my wife and my daughter came to Canada. The expiry date for our PR cards was on July 8, 2009. I meet the PR obligations because I came earlier, however my wife does not meet the requirements. We filled the renewal forms and send it to the Immigration Canada on April 8, 2009. First they called my wife for an appointment for her PR card. They told her she is out of Canada too much time. They gave her IMM-5511 determination of permanent residence status form and they required a list of other documents as a proof of Permanent residency. They want her to bring those documents until August 6, 2009. 3 weeks later I received a letter for an appointment for my PR card. The lady issued my card. My questions to the experts are:

1-In the IMM-5511 determination of permanent residence status form under question 10 they ask 'present address outside Canada'. We burnt the bridges and came to Canada this time and we have no address outside Canada. Should we leave it blank or does it mean the address where we used to live when we are outside of Canada?

2-What do you think will happen with my wife's renewal application in the worst scenario?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You should write on the form that you have no address outside Canada or write "not applicable". Your wife can apply on humane and compassionate grounds that she be allowed to keep her PR because her husband and baby are PR and live in Canada. Worst case, she will lose her PR and you will have to sponsor her again.

She should not have applied to renew her PR card when she knew she did not meet the residency requirements. There is no law in Canada that states you have to have a valid PR card at all times. You only need it for travel and occasionally to prove your status. She should have waited until she met the requirements and then applied to renew.