+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

details of non accompanying spouse in my PR application,

bmp_82

Jun 9, 2012
My spouse does not want to accompany me for Canada PR. Is it necessary to add details of non-accompanying spouse in the application. It the details are not added, what consequence are expected.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
bmp_82 said:
My spouse does not want to accompany me for Canada PR. Is it necessary to add details of non-accompanying spouse in the application. It the details are not added, what consequence are expected.
Yes, it's mandatory to declare them in the application, but you identify that they are non-accompanying. Failure to declare them is "misrepresentation" and could result in you either not getting your PR or you losing your PR later. Your spouse will have to do medicals, background/security checks, just the same as you.

bmp_82

Jun 9, 2012
Medical and Security check is mandatory at the time when I will sponsor her or it is required earlier when she is not accompanying and we are not applying for her PR as dependent member.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
bmp_82 said:
Medical and Security check is mandatory at the time when I will sponsor her or it is required earlier when she is not accompanying and we are not applying for her PR as dependent member.
Earlier, before you will be approved as a PR. If either of you fails the medical or is inadmissible, your application will be refused.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As zardoz said, it is mandatory if you are married to include your spouse, either as accompanying or not accompanying on your application. If you do not do this, it is considered misrepresentation and you would never be allowed to sponsor your spouse and further, you could even lose your own PR.

If your spouse is planning on joining you in Canada within 3 years after you gaining your PR, I would strongly suggest that you include her as accompanying from the start. This way, she gets her PR when you do. She would need to make a trip to Canada to land as a PR before her PR visa expires but after that she can leave again. She can stay outside Canada for up to 3 years without risking her PR status.

If you include her as non-accompanying, even though she gets medicals and security checks, once you apply to sponsor her, these would have to be repeated and you would have to wait a long time for processing before she can join you in Canada.

feedmycorals

Apr 4, 2014
Hi Leon,
I just read this thread and it is quite similar to my case. I have a question if you could help me with your advice. thanks!
So I received the letter confirming that my immigration visa is ready and needs to send them my passport in March 2014. I was also asked to update my martial status:
"STEP 1: STATUS CHANGE (If none of these conditions applies to you, you may proceed to STEP 2)
Has your family composition changed since our last correspondence?
• Have you married or divorced?
• Have you given birth or adopted a child?
• Do you intend to get married or divorced prior to becoming a permanent resident?
• Do you intend to give birth or adopt a child prior to becoming a permanent resident?
• Have you changed your contact information: e-mail address/mailing address/telephone number?"
At this time, I was technically single and not in a 12 month live together with my partner yet. So I did not mention anything about my partner who we have lived together since August 2013 (officially changed my address). I submitted my passport. My immigration visa is issued and valid till March 2015. I am not able to land yet. However, it will be 12 months in this August. I wonder if I need to contact CIC to inform about my soon-to-be common law partner?
Can I still apply to CIC to accompany my soon to be partner as my dependent? We plan on settling in Canada together.
Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can not add your partner now because you don't have 12 months yet. As your visa has already been issued and you never informed them to delay because of your partner and you reaching 12 months, you should IMO land before you reach 12 months, then return to your partner, fill your 12 months, then go back to Canada and apply to sponsor.

feedmycorals

Apr 4, 2014
Leon said:
You can not add your partner now because you don't have 12 months yet. As your visa has already been issued and you never informed them to delay because of your partner and you reaching 12 months, you should IMO land before you reach 12 months, then return to your partner, fill your 12 months, then go back to Canada and apply to sponsor.
Thank you for your insights. Actually we lived together since April 01 2013 but CIC's email ONLY asked me if I am married/divorced..so I did not know that I am supposed to inform them about my family situation. I just found out after reading the letter accompanied with my CPR and Visa.

The problem is that I want to take him with me as well. We cannot live apart. I am going to email CIC to ask about my case to see if I am able to declare him as my common law partner now. Either way, I am not able to land soon because busy with work so I guess I should email CIC anyway, in case CIC questions me in the future why I am not telling them now, what do you think?

(We did not know that I could be able sponsor him as a common law partner, so we originally planned that he would seek for a job in Canada and then move there under work visa)

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
If you have lived together since April 2013, you are now probably "common-law" partners. If this is the case, you cannot "land" using a COPR that has you declared as "single". To do so would be "misrepresentation". You must include your partner in your application before you land. Contact the visa office that issued your COPR for the procedure to follow. If you fail to do this, you will never be able to sponsor your partner as a member of the family class.

jenhmc

Jun 17, 2014
Hi All,

I'm new to this site. I want to seek advise regarding my situation because I'm planning to apply for FSWP but I just filed my annulment so I don't know how am I going to fill up the CIC general immigration form because technically I'm still married so should I write my status as married and fill up my husband's details in the form but I'm not able to obtain his signature and all other documents required by CIC such as police clearance and his photos because we're already filling an annulment. What documents should I present to CIC about our annulment because it's still on process yet? Would it delay my application?

Pls help.

Thank you

feedmycorals

Apr 4, 2014
zardoz said:
If you have lived together since April 2013, you are now probably "common-law" partners. If this is the case, you cannot "land" using a COPR that has you declared as "single". To do so would be "misrepresentation". You must include your partner in your application before you land. Contact the visa office that issued your COPR for the procedure to follow. If you fail to do this, you will never be able to sponsor your partner as a member of the family class.
Thank you for your info. I just emailed the visa office that issued my COPR and explained to them about my family situation. Cheers!

Snehan

Star Member
Sep 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
Passed (20-08-2015)
Interview........
Not asked Yet
Passport Req..
18-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
zardoz said:
Yes, it's mandatory to declare them in the application, but you identify that they are non-accompanying. Failure to declare them is "misrepresentation" and could result in you either not getting your PR or you losing your PR later. Your spouse will have to do medicals, background/security checks, just the same as you.
hey bro,

can u pls reply on the followings:

1. My wife is in govt service and having official passport. So i am applying as main applicant and keeping her as non accompanying member. In the application form it asks for valid passport info of the spouse/dependent. So can i put her official passport detail there ? or should i choose NO as the answer ?

2. My child is only 10 days old and don't have a passport. I will include him as non accompanying member as my wife also cannot accompany me at the moment. In the application form it asks for dependent's passport info. So do i need to make my baby's passport or can i declare he doesn't have passport by choosing the option NO ?

Does it require to have passport for non accompanying spouse or dependent ?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Snehan said:
hey bro,

can u pls reply on the followings:

1. My wife is in govt service and having official passport. So i am applying as main applicant and keeping her as non accompanying member. In the application form it asks for valid passport info of the spouse/dependent. So can i put her official passport detail there ? or should i choose NO as the answer ?

2. My child is only 10 days old and don't have a passport. I will include him as non accompanying member as my wife also cannot accompany me at the moment. In the application form it asks for dependent's passport info. So do i need to make my baby's passport or can i declare he doesn't have passport by choosing the option NO ?

Does it require to have passport for non accompanying spouse or dependent ?
Interesting questions.
1) While an "official" passport is not acceptable for immigration, your wife is not immigrating at this time, so I can't see why it should not be OK. Provide the details and CIC can decide if they wish to ignore them.
2) The same applies for your child as he is not immigrating at this time. Answer "No".

You are just identifying them as family members who must be "examined" for your application. When/if you decide to sponsor them in the future, they will definitely both need valid personal passports.

Snehan

Star Member
Sep 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
Passed (20-08-2015)
Interview........
Not asked Yet
Passport Req..
18-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
zardoz said:
Interesting questions.
1) While an "official" passport is not acceptable for immigration, your wife is not immigrating at this time, so I can't see why it should not be OK. Provide the details and CIC can decide if they wish to ignore them.
2) The same applies for your child as he is not immigrating at this time. Answer "No".

You are just identifying them as family members who must be "examined" for your application. When/if you decide to sponsor them in the future, they will definitely both need valid personal passports.
Thanks a lot Zardoz.

I was wondering that CIC might require to have passports even though my child is not accompanying. As per your suggestion i don't need to make the passport for now as he is not accompanying me. But yes, definitely my wife and child will have valid passport when i will be sponsoring them.

Thanks once again.

Snehan

Star Member
Sep 22, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-06-2015
AOR Received.
12-08-2015
Med's Done....
Passed (20-08-2015)
Interview........
Not asked Yet
Passport Req..
18-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2015
LANDED..........
12-02-2016
zardoz said:
Interesting questions.

Hi zardoz,

Few queries,

1. As my wife is having official passport so she can't accompany me this time unless she quit the govt job and make a regular passport (i think quitting the govt job for her will not be a wise decision before i settle to Canada). Is there any other way around so that my wife can accompany me this time ? What is your opinion in this case ?

2. If my wife can't accompany me this time then I was wondering when can i sponsor her along with my new born child and how much time the whole sponsorship process takes ?

3. My new born child is just two weeks old. Should i keep him as accompanying or non accompanying in the application (as my wife is not accompanying) ? Or is better to sponsor both later on ?

Can you please reply in a bit detail pls ?

Others are requested to share their views as well.