+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Designated Medical Practitioners

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
Hello All,

I searched through Canada’s list of Designated Medical Practitioners (DMPs) and there appears to be no practioners listed for my state of residence (New Mexico).

Do I *have* to travel out of state to get my medical exam done or are there any exceptions?

Thank you all for your time.

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
From CIC website:
Please note: Only the names of countries/territories where a Designated Medical Practitioner is available will appear in the menu below. If you do not see your country or territory listed, please select a nearby location to which you can travel.

So you will have to travel to go to one.

DCGelfling

Star Member
Feb 16, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2012
File Transfer...
13-07-2012
Med's Done....
13-03-2012
Passport Req..
03-11-2012
VISA ISSUED...
03-12-2012
LANDED..........
30-12-2012
Yep, I'm in NM, too. I drove up to Denver during my spring break to get mine done. $400 for the exam, so it might be worth calling the ones in AZ and TX (depending on where in the state you are) for a price check before making an appointment.

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Cheerio-
Thish probably won't help much, but if you have a trip planned shortly to Canada soon, then you can always go to see a DMP in Canada if one is closer to where you would be staying in Canada.

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
I tried calling today but they were closed (the ones in Arizona).

DCGelfling: Did you have to make more than one visit to the doctor for the exam? I've heard it might take more than one visit?

Does anyone know how much a medical exam would cost in Canada without health insurance?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
It depends on the province. They are as low as $75 or $150 in some provinces and I've heard as high as a couple hundred dollars.
Cheerio said:

DCGelfling: Did you have to make more than one visit to the doctor for the exam? I've heard it might take more than one visit?

Does anyone know how much a medical exam would cost in Canada without health insurance?

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
muffy1 said:
It depends on the province. They are as low as $75 or $150 in some provinces and I've heard as high as a couple hundred dollars.
Would you by any chance know about Quebec?

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
I`m sorry...I don`t know. :( But, if you go to this link, you can look one up and call around and ask. I`m not really sure if it`s the same cost with all DMP`s in Ontario. But you should have no problem or wait to get an answer to your question! Hope this helps!

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
Cheerio said:

**Important**, because I think you're female:

If you are pregnant, they can't do the xrays and will have to go back later for those.
If you are on your period, they can't do the urine test and you will have to go back later for that.

I had to make a second visit for the urine test, and while they didn't charge me anything for that second visit (it was considered part of the same medical) that's going to be a pain if you're driving out of state for it.

I've heard they may sometimes request followup medicals if they find something weird, but don't know the details for that.

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
Thank you for the link muffy =) I think Ill try and schedule in Arizona though.

Isometry: Thank you for the warning! And Im glad to hear in advance that there will be a urine test...I had to take one yesterday for a new job and had to sit there drinking water for an hour since I thought it was going to be a blood sample for some reason...

Ive heard some scary stories about this medical exam. But I'm looking foward to it, because it's one step closer to home. =)

muffy1

Feb 21, 2012
Cheerio- I'm sorry you've heard some scary stories. I have not, so I can't imagine how bad it can be and I'm just glad I was not one of them. My experience, it was a standard check, urine & blood test, DMP just did a standard examination and asked a few questions. In total, whole process took me MAYBE a half hour. Oh, and of course the x-rays which took maybe 15 minutes. Mine was quick and painless. I hope that helps ease your mind. I'm sure it depends upon the individual and individual DMP and country specifics.

Cheerio

Star Member
Apr 16, 2012
Right, I hope my case is as simple as yours--Did you do your medicals in the States by any chance?

Im reading doctor's reviews right now. The Arizona practitioner has terribly mixed reviews... is there anyone out there who has tried this practitioner??