+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deportee gets married

soon2bcanadian8

May 22, 2019
My friend had a removal order against them in 2009 and never left Canada. A warrant was put out for him , which I believe is active permanently.
He met someone later on ,has two kids with his girlfriend and would like to marry her. He is afraid they will deport him once he shows up to file the marriage documents. I told him he needs a lawyer for this, and he most likely will get deported . Has anyone been through this?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
A good immigration lawyer is good advice. With a deportation order outstanding, he’s very likely inadmissible to Canada. Being married won’t change the deportation order. He needs legal (not a consultants) advice and representation at this point. unless he has contact with the police, I doubt a marriage license will result in IRCC deporting him.

Bornlucky

May 15, 2018
Canada-wide arrest warrants don't disappear so your friend could be arrested at any time. He needs a lawyer before that happens.

Predicting what will happen depends upon so many variables it isn't worth guessing. He's built himself a box and the only way out is to surface and face the music.

It's interesting that he's aware of the warrant and I wonder how he found out about it.

soon2bcanadian8

May 22, 2019
Canada-wide arrest warrants don't disappear so your friend could be arrested at any time. He needs a lawyer before that happens.

Predicting what will happen depends upon so many variables it isn't worth guessing. He's built himself a box and the only way out is to surface and face the music.

It's interesting that he's aware of the warrant and I wonder how he found out about it.
If you have a removal order and it’s enforced with a day for removal and you don’t leave as per cbsa records a warrant is set out for you. That’s how he is aware of the warrant. He clearly never left. It’s been almost ten years of which he met someone and has kids with that person. He wants to marry her . I believe these warrants don’t go away or expire , based off of my knowledge from google, so I advised he see a lawyer and my belief is he will get deported. So my question like his is if anyone has been through this or if anyone knows about any such situation. Buletruck was right in suggesting he see a lawyer however we know how expensive these can be it would be better if he went to a meeting knowing what to expect , and what questions to ask

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Arrest warrants don’t expire. They remain in place until you are arrested or you deal with it. He could probably seek advice from some of the refugee organizations, but unless he qualifies for a deferal, chances are excellent he would be detained and removed. You really do need to be careful yourself as you are technically aiding and abetting a fugitive from the law. That could be bad for your own position.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/C-46/section-21.html

soon2bcanadian8

May 22, 2019
the Offence I committed was asking the question on his behalf, I don’t know who this person really is, where he lives or if he gave me his real name. Which was John . That’s it . I meet different people all the time everyday, I volunteer in many different places and I have heard several stories . I haven’t seen him again since the first time I met him. If I was asked any questions I wouldn’t know what to give . I don’t know anything. All sorts of people come to shelters all the time