+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Deported from US, are you able to get entry into Canada?

Nlg098

May 2, 2018
I just wanted to know how the law works. My friend got deported back to Korea, is he able to apply for a student visa to Canada? Or what would be the best option? He originally had a student visa in the states, but while transferring schools he didnt realize he had to leave the country which led to him overstaying his term leading him to having an illegal status. Is it possible to gain entry or apply to schools in Canada in order to finish his education and to potentially get a job?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just wanted to know how the law works. My friend got deported back to Korea, is he able to apply for a student visa to Canada? Or what would be the best option? He originally had a student visa in the states, but while transferring schools he didnt realize he had to leave the country which led to him overstaying his term leading him to having an illegal status. Is it possible to gain entry or apply to schools in Canada in order to finish his education and to potentially get a job?
It's difficult to say if a study permit to Canada will be approved - the deportation will work against him. He will have to declare the US deportation in his Canadian study permit application (keep in mind that Canada and the US share information so Canada will know about the deportation even if he doesn't tell them). If the deportation was recently, he will also want to wait at least six month before applying to study in Canada (a year would be better). He'll also want to demonstrate strong ties to Korea and show he has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Again, hard to say what the chances are of a study permit being approved. Most important thing is to be 100% truthful in this Canadian application - otherwise he'll end up with a ban here.