+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Visa

Uthra

May 12, 2019
Hi,

My husband filed a work permit before our marriage as single and got his stamped visa.
We got married a week later after he got his approved work permit.
He is planning to go to Canada first, then apply a open work permit for me.
What should be his next course of action
1. Whether he has to do a change of marital status before he moves to Canada or he can do it after landing there.
2. Can he apply for a visitor visa for me once he reach Canada (since it is bit faster process) and once i am there on visitor visa, will i be able to convert my visitor visa to open work permit

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
Has he been to Canada before you were married using that visa?

Since you ask about doing something after landing - if he doesn't add you to his COPR or otherwise inform IRCC that you are married now, and he lands with a COPR saying he is single, you will be banned forever from being sponsored by him.

He has to notify IRCC of you and ask for the COPR to be reissued and he must not land with it incorrect

Last edited:

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi,

My husband filed a work permit before our marriage as single and got his stamped visa.
We got married a week later after he got his approved work permit.
He is planning to go to Canada first, then apply a open work permit for me.
What should be his next course of action
1. Whether he has to do a change of marital status before he moves to Canada or he can do it after landing there.
2. Can he apply for a visitor visa for me once he reach Canada (since it is bit faster process) and once i am there on visitor visa, will i be able to convert my visitor visa to open work permit
1. He doesn't need to change his marital status.

2. You can apply for a TRV. If he has a skilled job, you can apply to change your status to worker in Canada.

Reactions: Uthra

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Has he been to Canada before you were married using that visa?

Since you ask about doing something after landing - if he doesn't add you to his COPR or otherwise inform IRCC that you are married now, and he lands with a COPR saying he is single, you will be banned forever from being sponsored by him.

He has to notify IRCC of you and ask for the COPR to be reissued and he must not land with it incorrect.
Work permit, not COPR.