+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Visa for Spouse and Son

Discussion in 'Foreign Workers' started by paps82, Dec 21, 2017.

  1. Hi,

    Am from india. I recently got a work permit[w-1 category] for Canada valid for 2 years via Global Skill Strategy stream [1] . I need to join on Feb 12th for 2017. My NOC code is B.

    According to below site "The spouse/common-law partner and dependents of the worker are also eligible for two-week processing. They must apply at the same time as the worker." . But i didn't applied for my spouse and son when i applied for my visa. So if this is the case how to apply visa for them for two week processing.

    [1] https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/hire-foreign-worker/temporary/global-skills-strategy.html

    But i didn't applied for my wife and 5 year old son at the time of my application submission due to travel and last minute rush to avoid all of our three application get reject.

    Now i would like to understand how to bring in my wife and son along with me to canada.

    Do i need to apply for open work permit for my wife? What Category i need to choose for my son. Since we need to put him in school do we need to apply for study permit as well?

    Its quite urgent, could some one who come across such experience in past please shed some light?
  2. Hi

    They won't get the 2 week processing time. You need to apply for an open work permit for your spouse and a study permit for your son.
  3. Thanks for your response. If i choose study permit on the documentation check list its asking for proof of school admission but we don't get any admission on any school in canda for my son. Could you please help TRV is not applicable for my son to move in and stay with me on basis of work permit and later apply for an admission in a school in canada,

    Any idea how many days it will take for the whole processing?
  4. As the dependent child of work permit holder, he does not need admission to a school. You just upload a letter of explanation in place of the school admission.

    Check the website for processing times.
  5. Would suggest that you only purchase your own plane ticket because you will not get the 2 week processing time and it could take a couple of months to process.
  6. I have a similar question about my 6 year old son.

    We are a family of 3 and all are UK citizens with UK passports. I will be applying for employer specific work permit as a main applicant and my wife will be applying for open work permit as a dependent.

    I am not sure which visa should I be applying for my 6 year old son. After reading on the forum I am a bit confused as few are saying that he might need a study visa.

    Any guidance would be appreciated! Thanks.
  7. He just needs an eTA. When entering Canada, ask for a Visitor Record for him to match the length of your work permit.
  8. Thank you for your reply!

Share This Page