+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent visa and open work permit for the spouse of temporary foreign worker

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi,

My fiancé is a temporary foreign worker(Software tester) in Toronto,ON.We are soon to tie the knot by October.

To be able to work in Canada after our marriage , should i apply for a dependent visa as well as a open work permit ? Also is there a way to accompany my fiancé soon after marriage ?

How many days/months will it take for me to obtain a visa/work permit ?

I have 3+ years of Software Development(Java) experience.Will i be able to easily find a job in Toronto Area as a non native ?

Any information/suggestion would be appreciated. :)

Thanks.
Krithika Vittal

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
The CIC website covers this case:

If you are authorized to work in Canada, your accompanying family members may also be able to work here by virtue of the permit you were issued. No other authorization is required. If they intend to work while in Canada, they should find out if they are eligible for an "open" work permit. Open work permits allow them to work in any job with any employer. An open work permit also means that they may be hired without the employer having to obtain a labour market opinion (the normal authorization required). Certain jobs may require medical checks or licensing from professional organizations. Accompanying family members’ work permits will be valid for no longer than the duration of your own work permit.

Typically, your spouse’s eligibility for an open work permit depends on the skill level of your job. If the job you are doing is listed as NOC 0, A or B in the National Occupational Classification, your spouse or common-law partner will be eligible for an open work permit. You must also be authorized to work in Canada for a period of at least six months.

If you are working in an occupation that requires a lower level of formal training, your spouse may also be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

In addition, your dependent children may be eligible for an open work permit through an active pilot project. Find out more.

Accompanying family members must always apply for their own work permits. They should apply for one at the same time as you, before entering Canada. If they decide to work only after they arrive, they can apply once they are here.
Source: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who.asp

So you will need to apply for a work permit (and a TRV if you need one), supplying a copy of your marriage certificate and your spouse's work permit.

In my experience, there are many foreign workers in the software industry. Provided your French or English skills are workable, you should be able to find a position.

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
Hi Computergeek,

Any idea on how long will it take to process the work permit when applied from India ? Is it possible to obtain a vistor visa and come to canada and then apply for a dependent visa/OWP ?

Should i take IELTS exams to be able to get a job ?

Thanks.
Krithika

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
krithika said:
Any idea on how long will it take to process the work permit when applied from India ? Is it possible to obtain a vistor visa and come to canada and then apply for a dependent visa/OWP ?
According to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp/workers.asp New Delhi has a processing time of two months for new work permits. If you are in Canada legally as a dependent you are allowed to apply for an open work permit. See http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/apply-who-eligible.asp#inside for an explanation of who may apply for a work permit from inside Canada.

Current processing time is posted as 55 days (approximately 2 months) for inland work permit applications.

krithika said:
Should i take IELTS exams to be able to get a job ?
Only if the employer requires it. Otherwise, it would be a waste of money.

evbays

Aug 14, 2012
Presently i leave and work in England with a dual citizenship(Nigeria and Uk), but i am originally from Nigeria.

Presently i work as a care assistance in England and Recently I gain an employment offer with a Care home in Canada. I am planning to move to Canada now and I am married and my spouse leave in Nigeria

I am planning to move to Canada with my husband that is why I am writing to find out if I and my husband can apply together and what document do we need for the application.

I will be glad to know if you can furnish me with the requirement for the working permit visa and also if my husband can join me from Nigeria.

I will be much grateful to hear from you guys

krithika

Star Member
Aug 10, 2012
computergeek said:
If you are in Canada legally as a dependent you are allowed to apply for an open work permit.
Hi Computergeek,

One more clarification , how long will it take for me to obtain a dependant visa ?

Thanks.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
They update processing times on the website regularly - just follow the "check application processing times" link in the right hand column of their main page. At the present time it seems to be taking around 1.5 months if you file online, a bit longer if you file on paper.

Raichu

Nov 22, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-29-2012
AOR Received.
08-02-2012
Med's Request
04-06-2013
Med's Done....
04-17-2013
Passport Req..
05-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2013
LANDED..........
06-08-2013
Hi Krithika,

I am in the same situation.
Could you please provide some information on what documents required to apply for dependent visa and open work permit from India?
Hope you might have got it already. Could you tell me how long it took to get visa/OWP? Please help!!!

Much appreciated your help!

Thanks!!!
Raichel

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
Hi been here in jasper,alberta,canada for 7months now and my contract is only 1 year.my work is a kitchen helper so im not yet skilled worker.but since my boss saw my potential he wants me to be a cook and they said that is a skilled work.in case they change my LMO to cook and gets approved is it true that i can apply right away for a spouse visa for my wife?if its true how?and how will it take?she will be in the philippines and planning bring her here in canada.please help.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
bistro85 said:
Hi been here in jasper,alberta,canada for 7months now and my contract is only 1 year.my work is a kitchen helper so im not yet skilled worker.but since my boss saw my potential he wants me to be a cook and they said that is a skilled work.in case they change my LMO to cook and gets approved is it true that i can apply right away for a spouse visa for my wife?if its true how?and how will it take?she will be in the philippines and planning bring her here in canada.please help.
It's VO specific. Check the visa office's website for the processing time of a work permit. And note that the normal issues for work permits apply here: you have to convince CIC that you will leave at the end of the work permit.

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
computergeek said:
It's VO specific. Check the visa office's website for the processing time of a work permit. And note that the normal issues for work permits apply here: you have to convince CIC that you will leave at the end of the work permit.
I checked.it says 32 days for sponsorship approval and 9 months for her to get approved.so almost 1 year before i can get her here?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
bistro85 said:
I checked.it says 32 days for sponsorship approval and 9 months for her to get approved.so almost 1 year before i can get her here?
That sounds like the time for sponsoring her for permanent residency. I thought you were applying for a work permit.

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
computergeek said:
That sounds like the time for sponsoring her for permanent residency. I thought you were applying for a work permit.
No.my boss will make my LMO to cook.so i will be a skilled worker.so i want to get her a spousal visa is that possible?and how long do you think?

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
bistro85 said:
No.my boss will make my LMO to cook.so i will be a skilled worker.so i want to get her a spousal visa is that possible?and how long do you think?
So the answer is "yes, this is for a work permit". You aren't a PR of Canada, because if you were, your boss would not require an LMO.

So this is for a spousal open work permit. According to Manila the processing time is ~12 weeks.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/philippines/visas/TR_processing_times-TR_delais_traitement.aspx?lang=eng&view=d

bistro85

Nov 30, 2012
computergeek said:
So the answer is "yes, this is for a work permit". You aren't a PR of Canada, because if you were, your boss would not require an LMO.

So this is for a spousal open work permit. According to Manila the processing time is ~12 weeks.
Thank you very much for the answer!