+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent turning 18 during processing

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Hello everyone,

Can someone share their experience having a dependent child turning 18 during their application (spouse + dep. child) processing and to what extent did it affect the processing time (subjectively speaking)?
We recently had a Schedule A and PCC requested for dependent which were promptly uploaded to myCic (gckey). I wonder how much time they may take to re-evaluate this information?

Any speculation is welcomed :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Can someone share their experience having a dependent child turning 18 during their application (spouse + dep. child) processing and to what extent did it affect the processing time (subjectively speaking)?
We recently had a Schedule A and PCC requested for dependent which were promptly uploaded to myCic (gckey). I wonder how much time they may take to re-evaluate this information?
In our case they didn't even ask for a PCC/updated docs once turned 18 (which was during the process / ie. after AOR etc and before final decision).

Reactions: ERCAN

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Originally applied for spousal sponsorship and PR card Aug. 2022. Dependent child was 17 at the time, turned 18 in Sept. 2022. Dec. 2023 the Windsor office (3rd office reviewing our file) requested more docs including two that our now 19 year old had to fill out, one of them was IMM 5406. They received these on Dec. 7th and still haven't heard back from them. Finally got my local MP involved last Oct-Nov as I was fed up with how long it takes for these decisions; apparently our file is classified as non-routine whatever the hell that means, which also means no real firm reliable processing timeline.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Originally applied for spousal sponsorship and PR card Aug. 2022. Dependent child was 17 at the time, turned 18 in Sept. 2022. Dec. 2023 the Windsor office (3rd office reviewing our file) requested more docs including two that our now 19 year old had to fill out, one of them was IMM 5406. They received these on Dec. 7th and still haven't heard back from them. Finally got my local MP involved last Oct-Nov as I was fed up with how long it takes for these decisions; apparently our file is classified as non-routine whatever the hell that means, which also means no real firm reliable processing timeline.
You should order your gcms notes.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where is your spouse from? How did you meet? How much time did you spend in person before getting married? Is there any red flags in your profile like large age difference, previous attempts to immigrate, etc. Looks like it has been between 1-1.5 yrs which is not unusual for processing from some countries. Close to a year was fairly typical for almost all cases until fairly recently. The fact that your stepchild came to Canada as a visitor with your spouse was always a potential risk because he doesn’t qualify for attend school or work without qualifying for a permit.

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Where is your spouse from? How did you meet? How much time did you spend in person before getting married? Is there any red flags in your profile like large age difference, previous attempts to immigrate, etc. Looks like it has been between 1-1.5 yrs which is not unusual for processing from some countries. Close to a year was fairly typical for almost all cases until fairly recently. The fact that your stepchild came to Canada as a visitor with your spouse was always a potential risk because he doesn’t qualify for attend school or work without qualifying for a permit.
Thailand, Known each other since 2007 or so, married for 6 years. She has a work permit here which is one positive valid until Dec. 2024, and this we received in an appropriate timeframe. Provided IRCC with a Thai police certificate for my spouse (one of the docs requested end of Nov. 2023). I understand IRCC conducts there own Canadian police check. First time ever applying for spousal sponsorship or PR card. What irks me the most is the seven month gap when the files were transferred from office #2 to office #3 with zero communication. Not much else we can do from our end at the moment.

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Thailand, Known each other since 2007 or so, married for 6 years. She has a work permit here which is one positive valid until Dec. 2024, and this we received in an appropriate timeframe. Provided IRCC with a Thai police certificate for my spouse (one of the docs requested end of Nov. 2023). I understand IRCC conducts there own Canadian police check. First time ever applying for spousal sponsorship or PR card. What irks me the most is the seven month gap when the files were transferred from office #2 to office #3 with zero communication. Not much else we can do from our end at the moment.
Definitely worth requesting gcms notes.
Mind sharing what are the overall statuses of your application in the tracker and gckey (PA and dependent)?

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Definitely worth requesting gcms notes.
Mind sharing what are the overall statuses of your application in the tracker and gckey (PA and dependent)?
Overall status is: "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you."
That's it. lol

Even received a message on Dec. 1st, 2023 about what services are available to new immigrants; but that was for people applying from outside of Canada. Ours is a Spousal inland application.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Overall status is: "We are processing your application. We will send you a message when there is an update or if we need more information from you."
That's it. lol

Even received a message on Dec. 1st, 2023 about what services are available to new immigrants; but that was for people applying from outside of Canada. Ours is a Spousal inland application.
That letter is send to some (most but not all) applications both inland and outland. It's pre-arrival letter. It's not a stage, just some information for people new to Canada.

Reactions: UDON55fai

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
Located the letter sent to us on Nov. 30th, 2023 requesting add'l info. This after 7-8 months of ZERO communication following the transfer of our file from one IRCC office to another. 5 addl. docs requested: Police certificate, oddly the wording is very confusing as it states "from each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18. I took this as meaning we would need to get one for Canada since my spouse has been with me for over a yr. now, but that is not the case at all, as the IRCC apparently does there own check. My local RCMP office mentioned this as well. We did submit a police certificate for her home country however.

Other docs requested: IMM 5406 and IMM5669 to be filled out again by my spouse; IMM5406 and IMM5669 also need to be filled out by the now 19 year old dependent (when we originally applied he was 17).

The Windsor office received these docs on Dec. 7th (letter stated can send by mail or email, but no mention of being able to upload the docs to the portal which I found odd). And of course to date, no feedback on the status of these docs. lol

ERCAN

Jan 25, 2023
Located the letter sent to us on Nov. 30th, 2023 requesting add'l info. This after 7-8 months of ZERO communication following the transfer of our file from one IRCC office to another. 5 addl. docs requested: Police certificate, oddly the wording is very confusing as it states "from each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18. I took this as meaning we would need to get one for Canada since my spouse has been with me for over a yr. now, but that is not the case at all, as the IRCC apparently does there own check. My local RCMP office mentioned this as well. We did submit a police certificate for her home country however.

Other docs requested: IMM 5406 and IMM5669 to be filled out again by my spouse; IMM5406 and IMM5669 also need to be filled out by the now 19 year old dependent (when we originally applied he was 17).

The Windsor office received these docs on Dec. 7th (letter stated can send by mail or email, but no mention of being able to upload the docs to the portal which I found odd). And of course to date, no feedback on the status of these docs. lol
I see. The timeline for additional documents is close to mine but only for dependent. Uploaded in December, acknowledged in January the day after the deadline for second ADR. I think they didn`t even looked at the uploaded documents until the deadline has passed.

What statuses in Eligibility and Background check in the new tracker? We had everything completed for PA while background check is still in progress for dependent.

UDON55fai

Feb 12, 2021
I see. The timeline for additional documents is close to mine but only for dependent. Uploaded in December, acknowledged in January the day after the deadline for second ADR. I think they didn`t even looked at the uploaded documents until the deadline has passed.

What statuses in Eligibility and Background check in the new tracker? We had everything completed for PA while background check is still in progress for dependent.
Same old statuses I've seen for eons online:

Review of eligibilityHelp - Review of eligibility
  • We are reviewing whether you meet the eligibility requirements.
Review of medical resultsHelp - Review of medical results
Review of additional documentsHelp - Review of additional documents
  • Not applicable.
InterviewHelp - Interview
  • You do not need an interview. We will send you a message if this changes.
BiometricsHelp - Biometrics
  • We do not need your fingerprints. We will send you a message if this changes.
Background checkHelp - Background check
  • We are processing your background check. We will send you a message if we need more information.
Final decisionHelp - Final decision
  • Your application is in progress. We will send you a message once the final decision has been made.