+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Question - Generic Application Form for Canada

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,

My family and I live in the USA but are planning for a move to BC. My wife of 22 years is a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring me. My daughter is born in the USA, but eligible for Canadian citizenship through her mother--we are just now applying for her citizenship certificate.

On the application form I am filling out for my PR, it tells me to list all dependents, or family members, but I'm not clear if that includes my wife and daughter as they are both Canadian citizens already-even though my daughter doesn't have the certificate yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
Hi All,

My family and I live in the USA but are planning for a move to BC. My wife of 22 years is a Canadian citizen and will be sponsoring me. My daughter is born in the USA, but eligible for Canadian citizenship through her mother--we are just now applying for her citizenship certificate.

On the application form I am filling out for my PR, it tells me to list all dependents, or family members, but I'm not clear if that includes my wife and daughter as they are both Canadian citizens already-even though my daughter doesn't have the certificate yet.

Any help would be appreciated!

1.- dependents:

You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). If these family members are not listed on your application, you will not be able to sponsor them at a later date.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/complete-0008-5669.html

2.- scenarios:
within Canada
out Canada ( you have to demonstrate you are going to establish in canada)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1.- dependents:

You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not.
This is wrong. The instructions on the form for this question clearly state you must include all family members who are not already permanent residents of citizens of Canada.

So no, to answer @ars23, you do not include either your wife or daughter. For the daughter, you will need to provide proof of her citizenship or a copy of your application to get her citizenship documents.

• Haha
Reactions: mpsqra and ars23

ars23

Jul 14, 2020
1.- dependents:

You must list all family members in your application for permanent residence, whether they are accompanying you to Canada or not. You must also provide details on family members whose location is unknown (including those missing or presumed dead). If these family members are not listed on your application, you will not be able to sponsor them at a later date.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/complete-0008-5669.html

2.- scenarios:
within Canada
out Canada ( you have to demonstrate you are going to establish in canada)

Thanks! I saw that information, but on the application itself it says the following...

You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

It's not totally clear who that last phrase is referring to.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks! I saw that information, but on the application itself it says the following...

You must provide the following details about each of your family members, whether they will be accompanying you to Canada or not. You must include your spouse or common-law partner, if applicable, and all of your dependent children, and those of your spouse or common-law partner, who are not already permanent residents or citizens of Canada.

You must include all your dependents and your spouse's dependents in this section - except for those that are already PRs or citizens.

Reactions: ars23

mpsqra

Champion Member
Jul 6, 2017
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa

I hope you are ok