+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent children

AllanD

Jun 4, 2021
My understanding is that IRCC requires a copy of the custody agreement relating to my child, and more specifically that an application for PR will not he approved unless I establish that I am not leaving / abandoning my child.

My question: can somebody please provide an official source or even webpage that says this? I need something that establishes this is govt of Canada policy.

AllanD

Jun 4, 2021
If I am applying and I have custody of a child, I cannot successfully apply for PR on my own (ie, effectively abandon my child). I need an official to source for that.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you have full custody of the child then what is the issue? Your child takes the medical and biometrics (if required) and you include the child in your application.

AllanD

Jun 4, 2021
That is not my question. There is a non-custodial parent involvement and court approval required. I need to establish why I did not apply previously independently. Ie, why I do not have PR already. Obviously I could not successfully apply on my own without including my child in the application as that would have been viewed as abandoning my child.

Again, what I cannot find is an official source or webpage saying this?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
That is not my question. There is a non-custodial parent involvement and court approval required. I need to establish why I did not apply previously independently. Ie, why I do not have PR already. Obviously I could not successfully apply on my own without including my child in the application as that would have been viewed as abandoning my child.

I for one do not understand your situation and hence your question. Please provide a bit more information - whose child, under what program you're applying, status of child etc.

In general you have to include your children, accompanying or not accompanying, as the instructions say.

Reactions: YVR123 and Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Sorry but i don't understand your situation or question. Need more information about "why did I not apply previously independently." What are your applying for or have applied for. Whose application? If you have included your child what is the issue.

Reactions: armoured

AllanD

Jun 4, 2021
If I have shared custody of a child (who lives with me) from an earlier marriage, and I do not have permission from that spouse or the court, can I apply (sponsored by my new Canadian spouse) for Canadian PR for just me alone, without my child?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
If I have shared custody of a child (who lives with me) from an earlier marriage, and I do not have permission from that spouse or the court, can I apply (sponsored by my new Canadian spouse) for Canadian PR for just me alone, without my child?
What happens to the child?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why can't the child be included as non-accompanying and do the medical?

AllanD

Jun 4, 2021
Because that would mean abandoning the child, as implicit in Armoured’s post above.
What happens to the child?
Exactly.

My question, which I keep trying to ask in different ways, is simply what official source actually says one cannot abandon their minor dependent child by applying for Canadian PR on their own.

I am not trying to figure out how to apply; I am trying to figure out how to prove to a foreign judge that Canada does not allow parents to apply for PR and abandon their (minor dependent) children behind.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Because that would mean abandoning the child, as implicit in Armoured’s post above.

Exactly.

My question, which I keep trying to ask in different ways, is simply what official source actually says one cannot abandon their minor dependent child by applying for Canadian PR on their own.

I am not trying to figure out how to apply; I am trying to figure out how to prove to a foreign judge that Canada does not allow parents to apply for PR and abandon their (minor dependent) children behind.
There is no rule per se. A medical is what is required so that is the only thing that needs to be approved.

livingincanada2016

Star Member
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Category........
CEC
Hi Team,

I have one more question, please help. Can we apply for Child Care Benifit for the child that is already on PR and living in Canada and same time sponsor the other child for the PR. I was trying to find out what comes under social assistance. I found this link - What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents? (cic.gc.ca) but this doesn't talk anything about CCB.

If we apply CCB will it impact my application to sponsor my other child?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi Team,

I have one more question, please help. Can we apply for Child Care Benifit for the child that is already on PR and living in Canada and same time sponsor the other child for the PR. I was trying to find out what comes under social assistance. I found this link - What’s considered social assistance when sponsoring my parents and grandparents? (cic.gc.ca) but this doesn't talk anything about CCB.

If we apply CCB will it impact my application to sponsor my other child?
CCB is not welfare. You can apply.

Reactions: livingincanada2016