+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

dependent children over 22 years of age

annesky

Feb 27, 2009
Hi please enlighten me about my case. I am a live in caregiver and will complete my w4 months on August this year. That time i will apply for an open permit and landed status at the same time. My problem is that my 3 children are above 22 years old but still single. Can i still sponsor them? please let me know. thanks

wawaprince

Star Member
Mar 27, 2009
Dependent children can be many things:

Exemple 1) must be under 22 and unmarried on the date the application for sponsorship is submitted (and still unmarried on the date the child lands in Canada)

Exemple 2) can be of any age or marital status and a continuously enrolled full-time student, who is financially dependent on his or her parents since before the age of 22 (or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 22

Exemple 3) Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.

Students who interrupt their full-time studies for less than one year in total and remain financially dependent upon their parents during that time will still be considered "dependent children".

As long as they all fall in one of those 3 categories, you should be OK.

Reactions: h.mht.1991

annesky

Feb 27, 2009
Hi wawaprince,

Thank you very much for your urgent reply. My children fall on your example 1 and 2. I feel glad that i can still bring them to Canada and stay with me. You are an angel. My best regards annesky

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

annesky said:
Hi wawaprince,

Thank you very much for your urgent reply. My children fall on your example 1 and 2. I feel glad that i can still bring them to Canada and stay with me. You are an angel. My best regards annesky
1. You stated that fall under 1 and 2, if they are over 22 they don't fall into 1.
2. To fall into 2 they must have been in full time study before turning 22

PMM

annesky

Feb 27, 2009
Hi PM,
Thanks for the prompt reply. Actually i have5 children back home 2 of them are in school under 22 years old. My other 3 children are those that i mentioned over 22 years of age. Sorry , i did not give the details of my children 's status. However since all of them are full time students before they turned 22 i am confident that they will qualify to be sponsored by yours truly . I remain, annesky

ghausia50

Star Member
May 26, 2009
Hi,

I would appreciate if you could please help me with my query. I am 23 years old. my dad included my in his application as dependent child before i obtained 22( i think it was when i was 19 years old). however, the immigration has sent me a letter requesting to provide official proof of full time education since before i attained 22 years of age todate. could you please explain what exactly is needed? should i send the registration or confirmation from the college that i am on a full time course before i obtained 22 years until today? is that what they are requesting?
However, they also requested official proof that i have financially been supported by a parent. i am in ireland for approx 2 1/2 years and my mum has come to visited me 5 times till now and she has brought me cash. would that be sufficient if i sent them copies of my mum visa when she came here to visit me and explain that she brought me money???

your help would be much appreciated,

Thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
annesky, they need to REMAIN full time students, financially dependent on you, during the complete processing of your application as well. The Act states "continuously enrolled". I am just commenting about the children who will be older than 22 at the time you apply. For the others who are younger, their ages will be locked in at the time you apply.

ghausia50 - I don't know why they are requesting this because your age was locked in at the time. But whatever, send them what they want with a polite letter stating your age AT THE TIME your father applied. Good luck.

ghausia50

Star Member
May 26, 2009
thanks for your reply.

actually i am mauritian citizen and i am in ireland for 2 1/2 years and my dad is in canada for approx 4 years now.

will the college letter of registration sufficient as proof of full time?

do i need to send the letter of registration before 22 till now?

regarding financial proof, will it be ok if i write a letter and tell them my mum has brought me money and also photocopy of the passport to show she came 5 times.

my mum has also proof of my dad sending money to her from canada, should i include this as well. coz they have never send me money by bank as my mum has come herself so she brought me the money.

Thanks

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I think what you mentioned will be good. Ask the school to state when you enrolled, what program and your expected completion date. Do you pay your tuition in cash or do your parents send cheques? Cancelled cheques to the university from your parents might work too.

I still don't understand why they are asking you for this. Is there a lawyer working on this for you and your family? Is your father already a PR? Or is he on a work permit? Somethings are not clear to me.

ghausia50

Star Member
May 26, 2009
Thanks for that.

My dad is on work permit and is also married to a Canadian citizen. he applied since 2005. my skul is paid by cash...when i came in ireland in 2006, i was on an english course( this was paid by cash to an agent in mauritius for the transfer of money), after that i enrolled with another college for a more advanced english course from 2007 to 2008. after that, i change to an IT course starting november 08 to november 09. i have a receipt of payment which my mother made on my behalf in Jan 09 when she came to visit me to settle full payment of the course fees.

ghausia50

Star Member
May 26, 2009
however there is no lawyer working on this for me as i didnt apply myself it was canadian high comission in Uk who sent my application form

N

nikky05

Hi! All, i do have some question regarding continues schooling and to be honest i don't quite understand the term if you could kindly pls answer. my daughter is 10 yrs old, she was interviewed on march 2009 after the interview she was asked to get the medical done and to drop off the passport in which we did and the visa officer commented it won't take too long anymore for processing. it should take 2-3 weeks of waiting, unfortunately up to now my princess still waiting for her visa. my problem is schooling will resume this june. if i dont enroll her to school would that means she is no longer a dependent? and that her visa will be denied?

saralune

Star Member
Mar 17, 2009
Visa Office......
lima
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2009
Doc's Request.
11-2011
Med's Request
15-11-2011
Med's Done....
17-11-2011
Interview........
02-11-2011
Passport Req..
15-11-2011
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-2011, pick up friday !
nikky05 said:
Hi! All, i do have some question regarding continues schooling and to be honest i don't quite understand the term if you could kindly pls answer. my daughter is 10 yrs old, she was interviewed on march 2009 after the interview she was asked to get the medical done and to drop off the passport in which we did and the visa officer commented it won't take too long anymore for processing. it should take 2-3 weeks of waiting, unfortunately up to now my princess still waiting for her visa. my problem is schooling will resume this june. if i dont enroll her to school would that means she is no longer a dependent? and that her visa will be denied?
if she is 10 i don't see the problem....I think that rule applies to dependent that are more than 22 years old...If you read carefully in one of the first post

"Dependent children can be many things:

Exemple 1) must be under 22 and unmarried on the date the application for sponsorship is submitted (and still unmarried on the date the child lands in Canada)

Exemple 2) can be of any age or marital status and a continuously enrolled full-time student, who is financially dependent on his or her parents since before the age of 22 (or since becoming a spouse or common-law partner, if this happened before 22

Exemple 3) Is financially dependent on a parent since before the age of 22 because of a disability.
"

I think she falls into 1) automatically,,,,

ghausia50

Star Member
May 26, 2009
hi could please provide me an update on my case. do u know by any chance what does file number beginning by M stand for?

mikamisa

Dec 28, 2011
Hello everyone,

I have a question about this dependent child over 22 years old. If you could clarify me about this, I would really appreciate it.

I sponsored my mom and I submitted my application last 2008. At that time, my 2 brothers' aged 18 and 22 so include them as dependents of my mom. I included them to my apllication. Now, I received a letter from the immigration asking for addtional documents.

In IMM008 form, asked what type of dependent is my brother. My other brother is now 25 years old, can I put Type A even he is not. I was so confused. If I will put him as a type A dependant , Should I be in trouble and reject my application.

Please if someone could clarify and help me with this, please help!Thanks