+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent child

vpatel

Aug 1, 2007
hi,

1) I had a question, My dad filed for canada immigration from india in 2002 or 2001 m not sure of the year though. The application included him as a principle applicant, my mom, me and my younger brother. I was under age 22 when he filed the application. Now He got an interview letter from the immigration and they have scheduled his interview and all the dependent over the age 22 also have to accompany him.

Now at present i m 25 years old and unmarried still. I am in canada on student visas. Can i still be considered as a dependent child? I completed a 1 year post graduate certificate and than was on 1 year post graduate work permit. I also showed 2 years work experience while putting my student visa file. Now again i m going to skool and m back on student visa so can i still be considered dependent. Cause when he applied i was under 22 years of age.

2) Also my parents are in the usa on immigration right now, so can the interview be transfered to the usa?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

vpatel said:
hi,

1) I had a question, My dad filed for canada immigration from india in 2002 or 2001 m not sure of the year though. The application included him as a principle applicant, my mom, me and my younger brother. I was under age 22 when he filed the application. Now He got an interview letter from the immigration and they have scheduled his interview and all the dependent over the age 22 also have to accompany him.

Now at present i m 25 years old and unmarried still. I am in canada on student visas. Can i still be considered as a dependent child? I completed a 1 year post graduate certificate and than was on 1 year post graduate work permit. I also showed 2 years work experience while putting my student visa file. Now again i m going to skool and m back on student visa so can i still be considered dependent. Cause when he applied i was under 22 years of age.

2) Also my parents are in the usa on immigration right now, so can the interview be transfered to the usa?
1. If you were not in continuous schooling after the age of 22, you will not be considered a dependent, and since you were working for a year, I think that they are going to have to remove you from the application. But who knows.
2. No, the interview will be in Delhi.

PMM

rahulchd

May 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 May 2012
AOR Received.
14 Aug 2012
File Transfer...
20 Aug 2012
Interview........
Telephonic Interview 10 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
11 Sep 2012, Passport recd by New Delhi on 17 Sep 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process: 11 Oct 2012, Decision Made: 30 November 2012
LANDED..........
10 Dec 2012, Destination: Edmonton, Alberta
Boncuk,rejjesome or anyone pls go through and revert. As in this topic the person is saying he was under 22 when his file was submitted by his father and PMM replied to be in studies till date why???

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rahulchd said:
Boncuk,rejjesome or anyone pls go through and revert. As in this topic the person is saying he was under 22 when his file was submitted by his father and PMM replied to be in studies till date why???
His age was locked in, but is he a dependent?, he has been living in Canada, working and supporting himself.

PMM

Boncuk

Nov 15, 2008
Exactly.. how would he be classified as a dependant when he seems to be self sufficient working in Canada?
rahulchd.. the age does get locked in at the time of applying.
I suggest you read the OP Manual maybe you can see for yourself about it.
Dependant child under 22 will be locked in and must continue to be a dependant till the end of the process.
Dependant child over 22 and full time student. must be dependant financially on the parents and continuously studying from time of receipt to when the visa is issued

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/op/op24-eng.pdf
Section 7.5 and section 7.6

rahulchd

May 15, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16 May 2012
AOR Received.
14 Aug 2012
File Transfer...
20 Aug 2012
Interview........
Telephonic Interview 10 Oct 2012
Passport Req..
11 Sep 2012, Passport recd by New Delhi on 17 Sep 2012
VISA ISSUED...
In Process: 11 Oct 2012, Decision Made: 30 November 2012
LANDED..........
10 Dec 2012, Destination: Edmonton, Alberta
Thanks for the reply PMM and boncuk...one thing boncuk as u said earlier too if the age is locked before 22 at the time of submission just one thing the dependent needs to satisfy in this case thats to remain unmarried and he/she can do anything they want coz stuudent full time clause dont apply and what this person he is also in the same situation, PLease clear on this as u always cared to help.

arunap1984

Aug 7, 2014
Hi,
I and my wife are PR, living in Canada for past one year. I am working here In BC. Now my wife is pregnant and she want to go back India for delivery.
If we go back home for child birth
1. is it easy to bring my child to Canada as PR.
2. what are the steps I should follow to get PR for my new born child.

please guide me to take right decision.

Thanks