+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Dependent Child Sponsorship - When to Apply

KV_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
Dear all, if you could please assist us with below query.
My wife (PR - got PR in September 2018, not in danger of violating RO obligation) and our dependent child (TRV already received) will be permanently moving to Canada by February 2021. We hope to apply the PR sponsorship at the earliest once the necessary documents are complete. My wife has no intent to leave Canada for extended period during the application process.
I will also be permanently moving to Canada by June 2021, however we do not wish to wait for my arrival before initiating the PR sponsorship for our child. If I understand correctly, since I will not be eligible to be a co-signer on the application, I will be required to sign/notarize the "IMM 5604 E - Declaration from non-accompanying parent for minors immigrating to Canada". Is that correct?

Secondly, provided my wife is able to show education qualifications (to show future employability) and certain funds in her account, will it help if I write an additional letter of support towards to supplement the funds in her account? I am concerned that since I will be outside the country at the time of application and majority of the funds will be in my name (or recently transferred from my account to my wife's account), IRCC may view me as the primary sponsor and view the application negatively. If anyone can shed some light on this, we would be very grateful.

KV_hopeful

Star Member
Nov 21, 2017
To clarify more above, my major query is regarding this part from Application Guide:
If sponsoring a dependent child (under the age of 18) and they have another parent who is not immigrating to Canada, the parent/guardian applying from Canada must submit a signed copy of the IMM 5604 Declaration From Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian For Minors Immigrating to Canada (PDF 609.2 KB). This form must be accompanied by a piece of photo identification from the parent/guardian who is NOT accompanying the minor to Canada.

As a parent who is already a PR but not currently residing in Canada (hence cannot co-sign), will the above requirement apply? If anyone with similar situation can shed some light.